Bad Sn

OK so im ready to throw this friggin ski in the water and let it sink.
Ski has trouble starting.
Charged battery!
Replaced starter solenoid!
New Ground Cable to starter.
New Fuse!
Pulled out the motor to take starter off. Found out it was just easier to remove exhaust manifold and leave the motor in the ski.
Tested starter like three times and all three times it spun like a bat out of a cave.
Throw it on the ski and has trouble turning it over.
Removed the plugs and tried to turn the engine over by hand to see if its not locked or anything and was very hard to turn but could turn bout half a revolution.
Hit the start button and again about half a revolution and then stops.
Ground cable heats up like hell.

Could it be the starter on its way out and doesnt have enough torque when load is applied on it.
Or could it be something in the motor that is making it hard to turn over?
Last time i rode it, flushed it and everything ran fine and about 2 weeks ago tried to go out and found myself in this point.

Only riden the ski about five times since i bought it used about 3 months ago. Still crazy to go out and learn more tricks on it.

Anybody have any idea?
Thanks!
Dave

Last edited:

Boris

The Good Old Days
Have you checked the pump ?
Remove the pump and see of the motor turn over by hand.

If you can't turn it by hand than the starter won't help.
Maybe you have a swollen ware ring or worse so get the thing turning over before you condemn any more parts.

yeah sounds like something else, starter is prolly fine, I can spin mine with one hand with the plugs out, compression is over 160 with plugs in. Like borris said either a pump issue or a motor issue.

ger87410

How did I get here?
yeah sounds like something else, starter is prolly fine, I can spin mine with one hand with the plugs out, compression is over 160 with plugs in. Like borris said either a pump issue or a motor issue.
Don't trust the starter!!!!!

My orig starter would turn great outta the ski, but not turn 1 complete revolution in the ski. I bought a USED goki starter from a turkey on pwcyesteryear and it did the exact same thing.

Got tired of messing with junk, so I bought a brand new starter with a 1 year warranty. That thing worked GREAT, until Texoma...

Don't trust the starter unless it acts differently when the battery is shorted straight to it in the ski!!!

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter

how do you check compression with the plugs in?:confused:

Removed the plugs and tried to turn the engine over by hand to see if its not locked or anything and was very hard to turn but could turn bout half a revolution.
Hit the start button and again about half a revolution and then stops.
Ground cable heats up like hell.
Dave

Motor should turn over easy with plugs out and turn all the way over and not get stuck

Thats the key to what he is saying ;) other wise I would say the starter is prolly bad to

How is the 550 running ger, did you hone it out and install a new set of rings? I hopped up the last 550 I have, high compression head, pipe, 0 degree bars, finger throttle, but it does nothing for me anymore next to the superjet

:burnout:
how do you check compression with the plugs in?:confused:
:lightning:

I was saying my motor is not worn out and it still turns over easy :) figured if I left out my compression someone would say its prolly just my motor is worn out and I need a rebuild

Last edited:

ger87410

How did I get here?
How is the 550 running ger, did you hone it out and install a new set of rings? I hopped up the last 550 I have, high compression head, pipe, 0 degree bars, finger throttle, but it does nothing for me anymore next to the superjet

She's been running good. Except for the hard starting (have to hold the start button for a bit before she'll run) in the water.

I didn't need to hone the cylinder out. There was no damage to that at all. All I did was pull the cylinders, clean the 1 piston, and slap her back together. She's been running like a champ since. I took the lazy man's way out. :smile: This winter, I'll replace the rings.

I did have to replace the prop. There was a large chunk missing that was causing nasty cavitation. I'm getting a rebuilt pump and a few other things for her from Ass Joel, when I have the money. :biggrin:

ger87410

How did I get here?
When my skis give me problems and I don't know if it's the pump or the engine, I pull the pump and try running the engine and see if the problem remains...

Well I pulled the motor to find impeller shaft locked up.
Looked inside nozzle and noticed the edge of the impeller hitting the inside of the housing. But the rest of the impeller isn't touching and doesnt look like it rubbed.
The part of the impeller touching does look like it has a small nick but hopefully the prop is fine.

Anyone have any idea what could've caused this?
Last time i rode it, i didnt notice anything different in the way it rode, then again i am fairly new to stand ups.

Dave!

Last edited:
Top Bottom