Barrel Roll Help

maef

Fly
Hi everyone, I would like to hear your opinions on the barrel roll. I am trying to do the trick and almost succeeded. The thing is that I am not landing perfectly on the ski, since it tends to land on the tail (attached a couple pics for illustration). Can someone give some tips weather I am doing things wrong? I would like the ski to turn flat in the air so I could land better. Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks
Marco

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 98

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
how short is your handlepole setup... it looks really long in the pictures.

although i havent done a barrell roll, i know that a shorter pole helps keep the weight centered for many different tricks. i would think shortening the pole setup would be to your advantage

maef

Fly
Motoman, you are right. I just changed my pole to an XFT. The one in the picture is long. I believe the body position might be wrong!

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
yeah i think he is suggesting to practice technique in the flat water then bring that to the surf once you have it down.

i think throwing it on flatwater with no air to the trick gets the technique and form down better

Which ever way will work ,I just have the feeling Barreling on Flatwater keeps the ski in a more leveled position like a true barrel and its easier to adjust body weight further upfront then ocean...but what do I know....

id also say to get more centered over the pole by leaning forward

one thing you could be doin as it looks in the pic is at the last second when the ski leaves you crank the bars and lean to just the side

Frosty

New York Crew
maef, i do the same thing. i pick fairly peaky waves to roll off of, so that alone sends me nose up. then i lean to the side, but i really do not lean forward and to the side, so i tend to keep the nose up axis rather than force the ski to roll flat parallel with the water.

I run a pretty short pole, but it doesn't really force me to get more forward, being that I'm 6' tall.

need to get the pole down more, and your body over the pole a bit... which will shift your weight from the rear to the center.

this year i did one nice true barrel roll... and i was for more forward than normal. that helped me to figure out what to do.

but hey, you're there... now just start working on fine tuning your technique

Attachments

• frosty10082008j.JPG
    frosty10082008j.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 3H1Q5091a.jpg
    3H1Q5091a.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 69

IKSTEJ

BOGIE
Everyone is correct. Lean into it.
An easy way to apply it is to try to keep the pole all the way down on the hood, Especially when your leaving the wave.
Flatwater, or in the waves.

And turn the &@^$*N bars :barrel:

maef

Fly
Guys, thanks a lot! Great advices. Just for the record, I have been participating in the PwCToday forum and just found out about X-H20, which is much better by the way!

Do you think a footstrap in the front of the ski would help? I believe it would feel find of awkward to have a foot in the front, but it might help with the weight distribution!

Marco.

maef

Fly
Great pictures Frosty. I can see you are much more to the front than I am and also with your body closer to the hood. I will practice more and try to use your technique. Hopefully I will post better pictures shortly! Too bad it is summer time here -- not so many waves and crowded beaches!

maef, i do the same thing. i pick fairly peaky waves to roll off of, so that alone sends me nose up. then i lean to the side, but i really do not lean forward and to the side, so i tend to keep the nose up axis rather than force the ski to roll flat parallel with the water.

I run a pretty short pole, but it doesn't really force me to get more forward, being that I'm 6' tall.

need to get the pole down more, and your body over the pole a bit... which will shift your weight from the rear to the center.

this year i did one nice true barrel roll... and i was for more forward than normal. that helped me to figure out what to do.

but hey, you're there... now just start working on fine tuning your technique

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
pole down ...lean forward....turn bars all the way....keep your eyes open....spot your landing.....

The best advise yet, but also the toughest part!!!!!! Where you look is where you go, but forcing yourself to turn ur head and spot your landing while upside down is tough!

Top Bottom