battery problem

just picked up new battery from yamaha and filled and charged for three hours now when itsit jusy clicks not like the spinning sound from the startor bendix but a clickin noise any ideas? oh and i checked all the treminals

cmeripper26

Ripper26
i would first go back and make sure all the connections are real tight from on the battery, the solenoids, and the starter. If all the connections are good and you are getting a clicking noise with the starter not turning over it could be your starter or the solenoid. If i understood u right

norcal ex

X-H2
you dont need 12.6 volts or higher to turn a starter... that might be the best but it will turn it under that.

I would check
1) make sure the motor is not siezed (spin with had an coupler)
2) jump your solenoid , those make a click when they are bad most of the time.

cmeripper26

Ripper26
Not always. Thats the easiest thing to check for starters. Then i would check the solenoid with a volt meter as you try to crank it. Or you can jump it like Norcal Ex said. I would just be sure that the battery has been fully charged to 100% cuz if youor under 12.6 and keep trying to start the ski your just draining the battery every time. Is the battery holding at 12.5 or is it dropping.

norcal ex

X-H2
press the start button with the volt meter on the battery... see how much it drops.. it shouldnt drop much if anything at all. if it drops a lot the battery is dead. a click sound is a sign for the bad solenoid or a seized motor.

12.5 is more then enough volts to turn the motor over

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
press the start button with the volt meter on the battery... see how much it drops.. it shouldnt drop much if anything at all. if it drops a lot the battery is dead.

12.5 is more then enough volts to turn the motor over

Yep. I agree. a jacked battery with no load will typically meter well and appear ok until you apply a load and it just doesnt have the AMPS at that voltage to hold it. Amps are WAY more important to whether the starter cranks then voltage. otherwise we could start our skis with 8 AA batteries in parrallel (that would be 12 volts) now THAT would be sweet!

Etheraldreamer

Be there and be square.
the actual BODY of the starter? you must mean the lug...
yep, first step in almost anything electical with these things is checking the ground. not just that its tight but that it is clean and has a good connection. Corrosion is pretty high in resistance i have found :)
glad its workin.

Top Bottom