Super Jet BB771 trashed after 4-5 hours

D-Nice

flap dem wings johnny!
yea so i had my ski out with my freshly built 771 big bore with like 4 rides on it an it was runnen great an i went down. go to start it an it chugged a lil like the battery was dieing when going to start but it fired up. road it up to the local bar on the river an it seemed to run fine. docked it an started boozen. go to start an it would barely turn over (figured batterys dead) so i got a tow back to my truck, loaded it up, went home, an figured id charge the battery tomorow since i was buzzed an didnt wana mess wit it. well i charge battery an go to run it an it wouldnt start. pull the plugs an they were covered in a grey watery paste. cranked the motor wit plugs out an it shot all out. flipped ski upside down an about a quart of water poured out of the cylinders, an more greasy grey watery paste. put my fingers over the holes one at a time crankin it to get it all water out an i had :):):):) for compression in one cylinder. popped the head off an theres alot of play in both pistons, cylinder wall on one is pretty scored and the other is wavey on the one edge on the top. so needless to say somehow water from cooling system got in my $2700 motor an now the hole thing is ffucckked. didnt pull it completely out cause after i popped the head off i just started drinkin and smokin cause i was pissed as hell. seems like i can never win in this sport. maybe i should jus stick to surfing :-(

Fake ADA head?

Thses types of skis are not meant to float dockside while you party IMO but I feel your pain!

WTF happened?

butti

lone wolf
I feel your pain.. i put mine in the garage clean,dry and running. Just pulled it out to go ride tmrw and the starter is locked up. It just never ends. Even worse if you ride salt.

D-Nice

flap dem wings johnny!
matt i didnt leave it floaten me an my boy pulled it up on the dock. i run dual 500gph bilges an have a habit of turnen em on every 2 min an every time i fall so water gettin in hull wasnt an issue... its gotta be a cracked sleeve or exhaust manifold or somethin. it came wit the ada head wen i bought it like 4years ago an ive never had a problem, guy gave me receipts an all, im sure builder woulda noticed it being fake as well. i didnt see any discoloration around the domes edges an the sleeve where they seal so i dont think water got in threw there. still gotta rip cylinder an exhaust off. nothin like builden ur ski for a year an a half an gettin 4 good rides outta it an now its trash. i got a wave blaster1 wit a 760 62T with protec head, boyeson manifold with novi 48's, an 61x electric with MSD enhancer i can still ride or rip motor out an put in my sj but i still gotta examine the exhaust cuz if it is my bpipe i dont wana merk out that motor. either way it still more wrenchen an money i shouldnt be spending

ntrsspray

I do DUMB THINGS!!
You said you got towed back right? That's where your water came from I bet. Towing a ski will fill her up with water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defiantly sounds like a water leak in your cooling system to me
the grey paste is the oil and water mixed together after going through quite a bit of heat
it doesn't surprise me that you have a lot of play in your pistons or anything, an engine trying to compress liquid= destruction

Sorry for your trouble and hope you get it worked out .... But reading thru your post I can't sit idle. Dont want to come off preachy , but we have a member here that lost his two children due to a intoxicated operator. Nothing wrong with a few beers or whatever ..... Just ride clean , everybody else on the water is counting on you.

Scorn800

Ride for life
Dam dude, sucks to hear about your motor but it might have filled with water during the tow. I had that happen.
Hope your still ripping that blaster

Like a few have said above, i am willing to bet your cylinder and crank case being filled with water has nothing to do with your loss of compression. When towing, the water being forced through the intake track creates pressure in the reduction nozzle, therefore pressurizing your cooling system. Which fills the exhaust chamber with water (due to no exhaust stream pressure to push out the water), so if either or both pistons are positioned so the exhaust port is open or even partially open, your engine will then fill up with water.

To address your primary problem...... Were you holding the engine wide open just before you fell and started to notice the "chugging" at start up problem? The "chugging" while trying to start is normally caused by the engine being off "balanced" by turning it over with no compression in one cylinder, and OFTEN sounds like the battery is going south. What ignition and compression are being used with this 85mm piston engine? In my opinion (experience blowing them up in my own ski) any engine with more then 84mm pistons and 190+ psi of compression needs to use an ignition that is capable of retarding the timing back at higher rpm (ie. epic or total loss), if you wanna run wide open. If all you do is surf or never hold it wide open for more then a few seconds then stock cdi or enhancer will be fine. Keep in mind all of the above is assuming we are talking pump gas 93 octane.

Pics of the damaged pistons would help the forum diagnose

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
matt i didnt leave it floaten me an my boy pulled it up on the dock. i run dual 500gph bilges an have a habit of turnen em on every 2 min an every time i fall so water gettin in hull wasnt an issue... its gotta be a cracked sleeve or exhaust manifold or somethin. it came wit the ada head wen i bought it like 4years ago an ive never had a problem, guy gave me receipts an all, im sure builder woulda noticed it being fake as well. i didnt see any discoloration around the domes edges an the sleeve where they seal so i dont think water got in threw there. still gotta rip cylinder an exhaust off. nothin like builden ur ski for a year an a half an gettin 4 good rides outta it an now its trash. i got a wave blaster1 wit a 760 62T with protec head, boyeson manifold with novi 48's, an 61x electric with MSD enhancer i can still ride or rip motor out an put in my sj but i still gotta examine the exhaust cuz if it is my bpipe i dont wana merk out that motor. either way it still more wrenchen an money i shouldnt be spending

Who built the motor?

D-Nice

flap dem wings johnny!
running jus an msd enhancer. an i was probably holding it 3/4-7/8 throttle for a good 30-40 seconds. hmmm kinda all maken sence now. an the tow back was a slow 30-35 min tow so yea i had no clue bout water gettin in the motor that way but it makes sense. ill get pictures up of everything as soon as i can

cattledog

EH TEAM RACING
we use a short rope and go fast when towing a ski, water will get in the motor a, 30 minute tow holy :):):):) that is a long tow 100 per cent i have seen many of towed skis with water in motor, put the blaster motor in and have fun lots of warm wheather still ahead

Last edited:
Top Bottom