300/440/550 best cheap mods for a 550

alright guys! my question is what mods are cheap that i can do and expect a decent power increase. I heard that advancing the timing all the way will give it mre power thrughout the whole powerband. is this true? also i heard porting gets you somewhere. what else can i do with this that are simple cheap mods that will have me flying on the water. Im 14 so money is VERY scarce. I just want your guy's input on my situation. I dont expect to go 80 mph, but a nice 5-10 mph increase wuld make me happy. i also want some more low end punch.anything nelse that will help me get to my goal. after this im getting an sxr for mynext ski so i can go crazy fast!!!! I just dont have the money for something like that right now

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
There aren't a lot of "cheap" mods. Messing with stuff on a budget you might as well just save the cash for gas and your next ski!!

Your small and light so you already have a nice advantage!! Work on riding as much as possible and wrenching as least as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang that's sucks. But what about advancing the timing all the way makes a nice difference throughout whole band. Is this true. And how big of a difference is this increase

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Is it a piston port or reed engine? Personally, in either case the only thing I would consider changing, if not already done, is the impeller and that is only if I could find a cheap upgrade. Like Jumper said ride it and save money for repairs or a new ski. You don't want to be sitting on shore during the short Michigan summer because you can't afford to fix a broken part. Put a $100 in a repair fund first, and then start saving for a more powerful ski, Yamaha or Kawi.

Dang that's sucks. But what about advancing the timing all the way makes a nice difference throughout whole band. Is this true. And how big of a difference is this increase

Personally, I wouldn't touch the timing, this only leads to wallet-ache.

What year is your 550?

Quick and easy mods on a 550 are:

Prop - as mentioned above, I always liked the 15.5 pitch
Milled head - There's guys on here that could probably help you @Scraggly @speedysprocket @Nuklear6
Cut the rev limiter wire (free)

Eastcoast and Fatman had good advice, save a few bucks for repairs and spend some time in the tray! Most of all have fun riding, a lot of guys on this forum started on 550's and will be able to help you out.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the timing, this only leads to wallet-ache.

What year is your 550?

Quick and easy mods on a 550 are:

Prop - as mentioned above, I always liked the 15.5 pitch
Milled head - There's guys on here that could probably help you @Scraggly @speedysprocket @Nuklear6
Cut the rev limiter wire (free)

Eastcoast and Fatman had good advice, save a few bucks for repairs and spend some time in the tray! Most of all have fun riding, a lot of guys on this forum started on 550's and will be able to help you out.
Thanks man! A prop is cheap? How much is cheap?

For under $200 this will wake up your 550

1. Have head milled or buy one off ebay or other sites. If you buy a used head make sure it's the same bolt pattern as your motor - will need head gasket.
2. Prop - find a used prop off ebay - will need a prop wrench too. 15.5 is the best size
3. If you have the jet power exhaust dry it out. On the front inside of the "box" you will see a brass bolt - remove bolt and replace with a brass nipple (outlet). Run a hose from the outlet out to the side of ski (need a pisser).

Based on the above, you should be able to really wake up your ski - should run 43MPH + depending on how well the ski is tuned.

These are not simple repairs and will take some skill to do (especially the prop change). But it will be a great learning experience.

For under $200 this will wake up your 550

1. Have head milled or buy one off ebay or other sites. If you buy a used head make sure it's the same bolt pattern as your motor - will need head gasket.
2. Prop - find a used prop off ebay - will need a prop wrench too. 15.5 is the best size
3. If you have the jet power exhaust dry it out. On the front inside of the "box" you will see a brass bolt - remove bolt and replace with a brass nipple (outlet). Run a hose from the outlet out to the side of ski (need a pisser).

Based on the above, you should be able to really wake up your ski - should run 43MPH + depending on how well the ski is tuned.

These are not simple repairs and will take some skill to do (especially the prop change). But it will be a great learning experience.
Will do all of this! Will post updates when done

Well obviously I did as I gave you the advise. The above does not "dry" our the exhaust it merely diverts a lot of water from the exhaust. The problem is that with all the water that accumulates in the water box. It creates a lot of back pressure to blow out the water. What you get is a very "peppy" ski. Kinda of like when you first take off the ski has a little more pep until the waterbox fills up. It will not damage anything. Heck, a buddy ran a ski that had a westocast pipe where the water line was blocked off and send overboard. The only water going through the exhaust was what the westcoast pipe used to cool i.e. very little. Ski ran fine for years.....Just loud.

Top Bottom