Other Best (gasp!) SIT DOWN????

Have an old Yamaha 1100 Wave Venture that I use to tote things around to the beach and for any uncoordinated friends to ride. It is getting unreliable and I decided to buy a new ski. Was hoping for a 2-stroke, but all couches are 4 stroke.

Any thoughts on reliability? I've always liked Yamaha, and was dead-set on getting a Yamaha, but was disappointed in some of the features (mainly lack of storage, since I mainly use it to transport things for when we ride standups).

I've always HATED Sea Doo's, but am dismayed to see that they seem to have to best features for the money. I know the old 951's had a bad rep for reliability, but what about the 4 stroke Sea Doos. It would be one of the entry level, low performance ones so I figure that would be safer that a high-output/supercharged etc.. I'm going to buy brand new since reliability is my main concern, but don't want a lemon.

EDIT: NOT INTERESTED IN USED SKIS. NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT INTERESTED IN ANYTHING USED ;-)

EDIT: Bought a SEA DOO :-o

Last edited:
Thanks dog. Didn't see a "general" forum there. If I post in a manufacturer forum all I'll get is fan boys and the odd hater. FIgured the stand-up crowd may be less biased. Have ben looking on there for posts about problems with Sea Doos, but hard to get a good feel.

Last edited:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I do some summer work for a rental business locally. The guy's been switching over to 4-strokes and likes the Yamaha line the best for reliability, rideability, and gas consumption.

baxt3r

BBQ
I've got a Yamaha FX140 and it does just fine. Much easier on gas than the Sea Doo and not really powerful enough to cause much trouble. Forget jumping it though. It's heavy as hell. Storage front and back as well. I could take a trip on that thing and have room for clothes and some extra booze. The new Yamaha cruisers are pretty much the same from what I can tell. That would be where I'd go. And all those rental companies can't be wrong.

Arent the Sea Doos all 3 cylinders?

AZRIDER

stupid desert
fx-15 by yamaha have sick power and good gas mileage I only rode one for a couple minutes but if i liked couches they seem nice 2, but waveblaster 2 has 3+1 storage compartments.. and 14 gallon tank....cant remeber tank size but its big like 7.5 primary and 4.5 reserve......

Probably one of the most popular for rentals is VX110 or VX Deluxe depending on the year. My family has one and it's nice. Not gonna jump unless you hit something big, it is heavy and long. Ok storage in the front and a little bit more if you take out the cup holder divider. Good room on the back too.

If you ever get the urge to go fast it will hang with the comparable SeaDoo model (name is escaping me at the moment) which is/was 155HP vs 110HP. Also, its got the system with the key fob to not let it rev all the way up. Good if you have someone who hasn't been on one before or you just want to not burn as much gas. For awhile it did get the best gas mileage/run time out of all the sit downs.

However, if you think you are gonna develope the need for speed or know you are gonna want to do alot of mods it'd be the wrong ski. Everything I have read has said the mods really aren't gonna get you much for gains.

All in all I like ours and it has been fun when the balster was down all summer.

PM me if you have any questions about that particular ski.

If you are looking for a ski for your friends to ride then don't look for newer models which are giant, giant=big engine=fuel consumption. I'd recommend something like a wr500 or 1st-2nd gen XP's. ditch the fuel injection and save the top end sometime in the future. If your friends are so uncoordinated they won't care if the ski is sorta slow, the will be happy they aren't on shore watching everybody else having fun. Or just keep fixing the wave venture, you can't get ahead with PWC's

Thanks guys. Used ski is OUT. Whole problem with the Wave Venture is that I can't rely on it. Had it all running great and took it out this weekend for first big ski day of summer and the starter crapped out. So I definately want something brand new that hasn't been messed with, no corrosion etc. I spend enough time wrenching my 2 Superjets and dirtbikes (mine, wifes, stepsons).

I really like Yamaha's reputation, but was frankly disappointed when I went and actually looked at them. Mainly the storage is soooooooooooooooooo small.
Considering the Kawi Ultra LX as king of storage (60 gal).
Wasn't even planning on LOOKING at the Sea Doo site, but did after my disappointment with examining the Yamaha. They seem to have a lot of good features, but since my main concern is reliability (ie. wife not getting stranded) I'm really wondering how durable they are.

Not looking for anything real fast, not going to mod it (if I ever express a desire to have a high performance sit-down, just put a bullet in my head).

Baxtr, good point on the 3 cyl. Sea Doo doesn't say how many cylinders, but as I recall that was the prob with their 2-strokes. they were trying to get the same power in 2 cylinders that everyone else was getting with 3.

I have a Yamaha 2010 FXHO and would have never thought you could need more storage space. I was in the same boat you are, need a dependable ski for my wife/friends. I had a seadoo back in the day and always was in the shop. But that was way back too. I'm sure the reliablility is much better now for everyone, but it is interesting that all the rentals are yamaha.

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
First things first, Yamaha all the way.
You are an awfully nice guy to buy a new ski for your friends. I understand the idea of getting people together and ride with you, but at some point they need to buy their own chit.

97-99 GP1200, in my opinion, the best couch ever. But I'm partial.

Got one too... runs great, reliable, cheap to buy, handles well, jumps OK.

A WB II is a good alternative if you want a small too seater that is a good jumper.

If you are looking for a ski for your friends to ride then don't look for newer models which are giant, giant=big engine=fuel consumption. I'd recommend something like a wr500 or 1st-2nd gen XP's. ditch the fuel injection and save the top end sometime in the future. If your friends are so uncoordinated they won't care if the ski is sorta slow, the will be happy they aren't on shore watching everybody else having fun. Or just keep fixing the wave venture, you can't get ahead with PWC's

a WR500? are you kidding? those things are soooooo damn slow. The good side is they never break.

Dance with the one what brung you. You can pick up a good used low hour 760 venture on the cheap. Best. Work horse beater ski ever made IMO.

Its all about the surf!
I'd rather have a USED Yamaha than a NEW Seadoo. Arn't Wave Ventures REALLY old? Of course it would be unreliable, nothing lasts forever. I would think you can buy still buy a not so used Yamaha and it would be reliable, after all isn't that the reason we all love Yamahas, because they are so reliable, even when they're older and used.

IMO Yamaha and kawasaki is the only way to go.. I own a small pwc repair business and I have seen it all and speeking from what I have seen, I wont even buy a seadoo to sell because I dont want the buyer pissed at me because it broke down AGAIN. 2 stroke 4 stroke, I dont care, I dont recomend seadoo to anybody.

A customer of mine has a yamaha suv, yes, it is called a suv and it's about the size of one, but I have never seen another ski with so much room, both sides open up and you can store ski's, fishing poles etc etc, has built in cooler's and is rated for 4 people If Im not mistaking.

It has the 1000cc 4 stroke, it is basicly the fz1 or r1 motor with the transmision cut off.

His is a 2000 model Im pretty sure and all I ever do to it is service it. If I was going to buy a new ski, I would have to go with yamaha for the reliability, I have less yamaha's come in my shop than any other ski.

These are just my opinions based on what I do.

Top Bottom