Best Intake Grate for the 2008+ (e.g. 2019) 2-Stroke Super Jet ?

E350

Site Supporter
What is the Best Intake Grate for the 2008+ (e.g., 2019) 2-Stroke Super Jet and for what water conditions and why?

Last edited:

E350

Site Supporter
@sjetrider This is what you said in 2008 when comparing the Worx WR201 to WR205

fine line on whats better really, between staying hooked up longer for more launch and staying loose. I prefer the hooking up longer myself.

Unfortunately the PWC link is no longer valid.

What would you recommend for a 2019 Super Jet?

Last edited:

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
WR228 was designed for the 08+ pump position. Good for a few more mph too end. Not as aggressive as a 201. 205 is similar to the 228 but designed for 96-07 hull. Different angle on the scoop I think.

Not a superjet but I don't have an intake grate on my superfreak badass and love it that way. It can get a little loose when trying to go around a body course on it but other than that I love the way it handles. It's a surf/boat chaser and it depends heavily on weight placement to stay hooked up. It still stays hooked up pretty decent in chop due to the intake tract being widened and a better flow into the pump. The 08+ superjet has deeper chines and a setback pump which helps with hookup. Personally I like the open style grates than the scoop or top loader grates. They allow the ski to be a little more playful. The top loaders hold the pump down and act as a brake when you let off the throttle.

E350

Site Supporter
Understood. I am learning that weight placement is important for maximum pump hookup on the 2019 RN SJ too.

In comparison though, weight placement is absolutely critical to make and keep the pump hooked up on the 1995 FX-1.

On the 2019 RN SJ, the oem grate/pump brakes severely when letting off the throttle. I actually was thrown forward and off to the side the day before yesterday when I let off the throttle at the end of a WOT run. Apparently this is a racing feature allowing for braking into the turn around a buoy. I look forward to learning how to use throttle braking during turns. The ski definitively rewards leaning my head and body fully forward over the nose of the ski when turning with weight on the front foot and pushing forward from the rear foot in surf stance. There is a front sponson (oem molded in) wobble at moderate speeds, but it disappears at WOT. So, far by gps I have gotten it up to 48.2 mph.

In comparison, the 1995 FX-1 continues to slide forward allot more when letting off the throttle, although it does brake somewhat but nothing compared to the severe braking built into the 2019 RN SJ. The FX-1 is sketchy at WOT. I love the @waxhead rear sponsons on it for turning tight. I have @tom21 front sponsons for it, which I haven't put on yet. I have no doubt that it will make turning the FX-1 even better by making the ski roll up out of the turns easier but, quite frankly I am a little scared to put them on because I don't want to add front sponson wobble to the FX-1 on already sketchy WOT runs. I have a Protec extended ride plate on it, but may try a different ride plate hoping to reduce the sketchiness at WOT.

Watching T.C. Freeride, the Worx WR228 apparently increases braking for buoy racing the 2008+ RN SJ as well as handling rough water in races well:

Last edited:
so i set up a 19 sj with a pwc performance sponsons, ride plate and wcot intake grate. i enjoy it for most all conditions of freeriding as i rarely get glass conditions. for buoy racing, very predictable braking and hook up. great in chop. glass conditions, chine walks like a mother licoriceer, so you have to ride aggressive and carve a lot to have a good time. cruising and chine walking sometimes leads to cartwheels not paying attention haha. freeriding i wish it would be a tad looser but still able to pull 180 stabs and slides depending where i plant my weight. im 5'8'' 170lbs with rrp set to about 3" shorter than stock length.

Top Bottom