Best standup for larger rider???

XPracer

The original Mr. Mehoff
Ok, so i've finaly talked one of my best friends of all time, who until now was purely against it, to try riding a stand-up. He's 6' but weighs 268 lbs. What is the best standup for a man of his size? I know my roundnose will pull me up fine and I'm not all that small myself. Just looking fo opinions, thanks. :biggthumpup:

I run a sj in the surf (oceanside, ca). I'm 6'3" 285 with a SN propped, piped, milled head 650. Pulls me fine and gets up and goes with no issues.

Snackem

Danger Zone
I ride Matt_E's SJ, and even his square which is stock get me up alright although his RN with a shorter pole is easier. I like my X2 a lot I think that it is easier to get up on the X2 than on a SJ you have a wider stance and since you lay on the seat you have a head start.

I'm 6' and when I rode this summer I was tipping the scales at a little over 280.

Jawbreaker

Rick James Edition
Maybe an Octane.:rolleyes:
It's a little more stable than a SJ and I think it would be easier for him to ride if it's his first standup. Although, SJ's are easier to find and parts are less expensive over the Octane.

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
If you want a larger sized beginner to not get frustrated and have a lot of fun. The SXR is the ski for him. Any of these skis will get them out of the water without a problem, but the SXR is the very stable, the heaviest and easiest turning ski on the market hands down.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
I'd say an SXR to start with...It has the most power and is the most stable. If he decides to do flatwater Freestyle, then he can switch to a SJ later.

He will have the most fun on an SXR, starting off.

Wow... not sure why it hasn't been said but you can pick up a modded Kawi 650sx for < $800. Very decent ski for learning and won't break the bank if he decides a stand up is not for him...

Just something to consider.

I was riding a bone stock 550 for a couple outings at the river. i'm 6'3" 280. Talk about an unstable dog of a ski. Took a second to get going but was able to ride it all day. A large rider with coordination can ride anything except a 300 or 440.

I have never riden a sxr but would like to someday. My square nose right now is doing OK for me. Flatwater it sucks but in the surf It has all the power I need.

Actually all this talk about surf is giving me the shakes. I might have to head out soon:frown:

Top Bottom