Best way to tow a stand up behind a boat..on the cheap!

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Just picked up a 20' pontoon from a friend at a very good deal and want to tow a SJ behind it. I dont really want to put the ski on the boat, I like all the room and dont want to modify. I know they will sub down after going more that 5mph and you need to block off the water line too. Im just wondering if I put 50-100 lbs. of sand bags in the tray in will keep the nose up on a regular rope and will not start to wobble and tip over. I dont know...lol

Ive read some hook them along side the boat also and as the boat planes it lifts the ski nose up. What about some PVC with some rope through it with some kind of rubber or cushion on the end?

I know the main thing is to keep the nose up. That's about all I know. Any suggestions or real life experiences would be great!

Not stable enough to stay upright regardless of weight in the tray. You'd need to rigid mount it some way so the ski can't roll, etc.

I've always thought about taking an old couch hull and just use the bottom half or some variation of it as a sled to pull behind the boat with standup strapped inside.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Maybe sacrifice a wr3 to make a ski trailer!

Oh man, I have one of those right now..95 WRIII hull. Bought 2 on a trailer a few months ago to use the engine/elec. in a FX-1 and I sold the other one whole. I was just thinking about when i was goint to take that WRIII to the dump! Ill keep that in mind for sure, thx!

I also really like the idea of towing it on the side of the boat too. You tie up the ski nose to a middle side cleat, then put a few of the rubber boat fenders between boat/ski. Then when boat goes on plane it keeps the ski nose up.

Thanks for the ideas all!

Last edited:
I run X-2's and Superjets. I have a set of the factory side pontoons that you can get for the X-2 to make them more buoyant/stable/unsinkable. I tried to dummy fit them to the Superjet to see if they could make it towable behind a houseboat. It looks do-able but would require the hinge/mount (stainless steel) to be cut down so that it can swing down and be bolted shut. After modification I would only use them for towing, not riding with a newbie in the tray.

The pontoons do seem cheap these days (last set I saw were $75 and look a while to sell). Might be worth a punt to buy a pair and give it a go. Be aware they will be unusable on an X-2 after modification - there will be no going back!

Could probably modify one of these to set your ski in the middle.

db9b43a108809375b35cfd2e70fb7dfa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
I could get super ridiculous on this.

Pop a nice and thickb copy off of a superjet bottom(or whatever hull).
Knock the top off a wr3 (or what ever donor hull).
Suspend the copy a few inches over the donors bottom. Fill with 2 part foam, shave smooth and glass it all up. Paint it and put turf down where the ski sits in its perfect little cozy spot to pull it up to. Add a strap to the front and throw some fat sponsons on the back for stability and BOOM... Bad ass jet ski trolley thingy majig.

The WR idea might make a good method. There used to be a plastic surrounding thing called the wedge for kawi 550's, it's basically the outer portion of a couch but made of plastic. They worked too, could never sink or sub one of the old 550's with that clamped on it.

What if you got a bigger tube (the type you stick a few kids on and pull around the lake) and secured the jetski on the top of that? Those tubes are meant to travel at high speeds and the weight wouldn't be an issue. As long as you didn't puncture the tube, it might work :)

Bumping this old thread. Anyone ever figure out an option? I might buy a SJ and a boat with a swim platform, considering ratchet strapping it down to that but worried it’ll be too much if it’s in choppy water.

I saw about putting them on pontoon boats but I have a ski boat with a swim platform. Would love to tie it down to that but thinking towing it out might be best.

Top Bottom