Best way to tow two Superjets behind a boat?

We are planning a trip to Broken Bow Lake in Oklahoma this summer. I am planning on taking our Sea Ray and (at least) two Superjets. The lake is pretty large and I'm sure we'd like to cover a few parts of it, riding the stand-up across the lake is tiring and uses a bunch of gas. What would be the best way to tow them behind the boat?

In the couch world there are horror stories about how towing above a certain miles per hour actually pressurizes the pump and forces water through the cooling system, eventually filling the pipe and engine with water.

The Sea Ray 185 Sport has a fiberglass swim platform on the back that sits just a few inches above water when sitting still..but when moving the boat is higher in the water. But we won't be going 40mph, probably 25 max.

I am thinking of turfing the swim platform and then tying the two Superjets on backwards with the ride plates actually sitting on the swim platform.

Anyone ever done this? Wish I has seen that sweet aircraft carrier style deck boat before I plopped down the money for this Sea Ray.....

Aaron

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
if you someone how block off the water intake lines from the pump it will stop the water from filling the engine. but water can still get in from the hood vent holes going under while towing.

i've seen a company make a small towable platform made of some sort of styro foam that the front of the ski sits on to keep the nose from going under.

ezmoney

the "Cotton Candy Bandit"
Maybe if you got like a 10ft livingston you could set both of the skis in it and tow that??? borrow a friends or score one on craigslist

There was a thread on here earlier where someone bought a hull of a big sitdown, dug out the middle and used it for the same thing you want to.

you could always just use a rope and two rag dolls

skiffandtwoskis.jpg

Honestly though I like the idea of getting a couch hull and gutting that, you could probably pick up a hull for free. Hope you come up with something.

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
I towed a GP1200 and my Jet boat behind our houseboat at Lake Powell last year. Here's what you need to know:
1) Pulling any jet propelled craft behind another boat above wake speed can force water into the exhaust system and into the engine, causing severe damage to it.
2) Smaller craft, like standup jetskis, have a tendency to tow nose-down and swamp, leading to possible damage, loss of parts, or sinking.

To remedy these two situations, here's what I did:

1) Use a valve to block off the exhaust outlet tube (not the exhaust itself- there is another tube that comes out the rear transom of the ski that is also part of the exhaust system) while the ski is being towed. I purchased a PVC ball valve, some stainless hose clamps, some plastic tubing in the same diameter as the exhaust tube, spliced it in to the existing line. The biggest key here is to REMEMBER to open the valve when you are going to run the ski! Wrap the lanyard around it and then close the engine cover, so you remember to do this. This device will prevent water from being forced back into the system, and prevent engine damage. In the SJ, the line in question is one of the water lines you see coming from the bulkhead alongside the driveline (if I am not mistaken). It's almost like flushing your ski with a hose without the motor running....same idea.

2) In order to prevent the ski from swamping, you need a firm tow setup, not just a simple rope. Trust me, you'd think your ski would stay nose up under way, but give it a try before you go, and you'll see this isn't the case. I bought the following: a long piece (50') of strong dock/tow line-marine grade. 3-4 "noodles" at a pool supply store- the kind that kids use to float on? They are 5-6 feet in length. Some flexible tubing (pvc grey is fine). Also get 3-4 caribeners/stainless line clamps.
Thread the rope through the PVC tubing. Thread the tubing through the noodles. Now you have a firm, but flexible tow rig that will not only prevent the skis from slamming into the boat if you come to a quick stop, but it is firm enough to keep the nose of the ski out of the water. Out of all this material make two 25 foot or longer tow rig setups. Put the caribener/clamps on each end. Now, you can hook them up in a "V" manner (one end on the bow cleat of the ski, the two ends on the stern cleats of your tow boat), or join them together to make a long, single tow rig. You'll have to test both to see which works best with your boat/ski. I found the "V" hookup was the best for the GP.

Or, throw the skis into the boat somehow and avoid this issue altogether.

Last edited:

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
Here's the only pic I have of the setup. You can see part of the rig on the GP.

Attachments

• tow.jpg
    tow.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 330

cycojon

addicted to my superjet
not that it helps you any (sorry) but thats why i just bought a 1987 22' JC tritoon. $5,000 and the B1 and superjet will fit just fine, and i got a 130 hp to move it all around the lake.

hangtime

Speak up ,don't kiss azz
If you have dual cooling get the quick disconnects for them and put a male on one line and a female on the other and just connect them together and your exhasut will not fill up with water .

I have my SJ set up this way incase I have to get towed back from my ride spot .

other than that just leave a bilge pump on when towing for any water in the hull

All great advice. Thanks. I am thinking of wrapping a strap around the hull between the front of the hood and the back of the nose piece. Then I can tie the tow rope to the underside, that is a little ways back from the bow eye and should allow me to tow with the nose up some.

I do have dual cooling and the quick connect idea is a good one. I think it would be easier to reach if I just did that to the outlets on the head, after all I don't mind water in the actual cooling passages of the engine, but need to keep the exhaust dry.

Aaron

When I towed my SJ behind the house boat, I had to lift the nose out of the water and tie it up like that, otherwise it just wanted to submarine really bad. But it sucked because anytime we stopped the my ski would turn side ways and slam into the boat, and reverse wasnt' good either. Not sure what I'm going to do, for next year. Something that I tie to the house boat solid, that will hold the front of the ski up out of the water and keep it in line with the boat?? Not exactly sure how I will accomplish this, beacuse still in reverse it will want to swamp the ski.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
you need one of these

then you can bring the girlies to watch/ride/pump blast...and beers for the canal ride back home...

check out the vids i have in my sig i have video of the boat with three skiis on it...it could fit 4...i just need a new motor cause the one on it is blown

whoops just realized those vids are in my sig on pwctoday...ill upload them now to my sig on the x

oh i forgot to mention the best part...that boat was free....FREE FREE

Attachments

• jet ski parts 001.jpg
    jet ski parts 001.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 211
  • jet ski parts 002.jpg
    jet ski parts 002.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

'Crockett

Freelance Smartass
If you tow from the highest point posible on the boat . . . . like a wake board tower or the upper deck of a houseboat with a short rope, maybe 15 to 20 feet in back of the boat, it helps with the subbing problem by trying to lift the nose as it pulls . . . . . .

If there isn't a midcleat, mount one in front of the windshield on the starboard side. Tie the ski off snugly to that and pull it alongside the boat not behind. That will lift the nose of the ski since the bow of your boat rises with speed. The spray from your boat will push the ski off the boat, but the tension in the rope will pull it back in. Put a life jacket down for a cushion or buy something better for that.

Keep a close eye on the ski and see how it does. If you're comfortable with it, tie the second ski off on the port side and have someone keep an eye on that one too.

Last edited:

twezzy81

N.O.L.A
not sure how much money your looking to spend to make this work,, but you could buy a cheap little flat boat and call it a day.. I purchased a landua flat boat new about six years ago for about 500 bucks. or you could also purchase one of those huuuuge a$$ air tubes that tow about 6 to 8 people.

Top Bottom