Best ways to restore a SJ gas tank ?

Anyone ever tried to do anything to restore a faded ugly gas tank? Tried to google it and look around here but haven't had much luck. Don't really want to have to shell out the money for a new tank when there aren't any issues with the one I currently have.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Haven’t cleaned up a fuel cell myself but I know some guys that used oven cleaner and it removed some of the yellowing. Don’t think anything is going to restore a tank to a like new white, but every little bit helps I suppose. Other options would include buying a Cold Fusion carbon fiber cover that slips over the tank to make it look clean and sanitary. Or buy a aftermarket black or aluminum fuel cell. The others succumb to the fact yellow tanks are just a way of life.

It's a lot of work, I was going to buy a bunch of chemicals to do a bunch, but there is no proof that it doesn't break down the plastic or have a long term disadvantage.

I'm going to hydro dip mine carbon fiber for poops and giggles. Will last forever, can incorporate a sight line.

That works for black or grey faded plastics. The white stuff is caused by a chemical that is included in the ABS manufacturing to make it flame retardant.. That chemical reacts to sunlight to cause the yellowing. It's in the plastic. I don't think it's something that can be successfully and thoroughly be cleaned off. Bleaching is a great way, but no one seems to know the long term effects on the plastic.

When I say bleach I'm not suggesting actually bleach I'm talking more along the lines of hydrogen peroxide like you were bleaching your hair.

That works for black or grey faded plastics. The white stuff is caused by a chemical that is included in the ABS manufacturing to make it flame retardant.. That chemical reacts to sunlight to cause the yellowing. It's in the plastic. I don't think it's something that can be successfully and thoroughly be cleaned off. Bleaching is a great way, but no one seems to know the long term effects on the plastic.

When I say bleach I'm not suggesting actually bleach I'm talking more along the lines of hydrogen peroxide like you were bleaching your hair.
So are you saying if I bleach my hair my tank may get whiter ?

In all seriousness though thank you to everyone for the responses. Was hoping there would be a way to clean the tank up to make it look nicer but it is what it is.

Just get it hydro dipped. I was going to bleach mine first, but decided against it. Just going to hydro dip it which will stop any further yellowing and sun damage that causes cracking.
were you planning on hydrodipping yours and leaving a small window section not done so you could see how much fuel was in it ? or were you going to say screw it and just do the whole thing ?

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Wonder if plastic dip coating would work. Or maybe rhino line it with a cheap DIY kit. Both should be in the $50 range for a black tank conversion.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Wonder if plastic dip coating would work. Or maybe rhino line it with a cheap DIY kit. Both should be in the $50 range for a black tank conversion.
Plastidip would most likely stick,but I have a feeling it would tear at all contact points(straps, bottom of hull) . But you could always try.. It's cheap enough

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom