Surfriding blast from the past..

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
miyagi-773738.jpg

Mr Miyaga say : We make sacred pact. I promise teach surfriding to you, you promise learn. I say, you do, no questions.

Miyagi: First, get Superjet, No bob, no stunt, Then put surf strap, no foothold...
Daniel: Hey, why do I have to...?
Miyagi: Ah ah! Remember deal! No questions!
Daniel: Yeah, but...
Miyagi: Hai!
Miyagi: Left foot front, right foot back, surf stance only. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Left foot front,Right foot back, Don't forget to breathe, very important.
Miyagi: Surf stance only , no foothold !

Last edited:

D-Roc

I forgot!
Riding waves with your feet locked in the rear footholds is way harder than SS. That's why I do it. Front side. Back side. No such thing for me when kicking the lip of a wave. I only SS when I am tired and need a break.

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
Advice is only as good as the way it's presented and how open minded the other person is to criticism. I've always been the type of person that can handle positive criticism and wants advice to use as a training tool to improve my riding. If someone payed enough attention to my riding then I'm more than happy to hear what they think. I can learn a lot from seeing pics or video of my riding as well, you will notice things that you can't see in first person view. I am in the same situation as wydopen (he's good on a ski but still improving on a dirt bike and I'm opposite). I don't claim to be the best dirt bike rider/racer out there but I definitely have enough talent and technique to share some advice if someone is looking to improve... On the other hand I'm the guy who needs advice when it comes to jetskis. I think he has a lot of good advice that he could share but people take offense to his post because it seems like he's going against the grain. Jet skiing is evolving quickly and it is without a doubt centralized around flat water freestyle. You need to have the lightest shortest hull with the biggest highest compression engine available to be competitive. New people to the sport are drawn to this and learn from this aspect of the sport. If they decide to ride surf they may feel like its the same aspect but with a perfect setup wake every time. That's ok if that's what they want to do but the roots of standup jetskis came from racing and riding surf. Some people have forgotten that and some people really don't know, they just follow the trend of the short handle poles, billet cylinders, powervalves, and backflips and kicking into the footholds. The whole point wydopen was trying to make with his first post is to think outside the box of flat water freestyle! Not every ski needs footholds and not every type of riding benefits from footholds. The pics he posted were some great racing footage and surf riding footage without footholds. It was very entertaining to see where this thread went and I ran out of "thanks" for the first time but I think the reason for his post was overlooked or taken the wrong way. Zack just posted the videos of the recent competition in Oregon and I was very pleased to see their score was 50% based on their surf riding and their use of each wave! It keeps the sport alive and that's great!
At the end of the day yes, having fun is the most important thing but people don't practice to have fun, they practice to become a better rider and sometimes becoming a better rider requires some good advice and criticism

Thanks Andrew for posting that wonderful pic of me :) I guess you never had a bad/goofy pic taken of yourself?? ha ha ha I personally like using both foot-holds and straps, when I first learned to backflip right after Rick Roy in 1998 we only used footholds, when we competed in the 1st moto-surf comps when JK and TC came along I was impressed with the style and was really impressed with Taylors aggresssive/charging wave riding, I was lucky enough to actually beat Joe and Taylor at a couple of comps back then with no-hander barrels and no-hander backies but they were few and far between and these guys definitely changed the sport for years to come. From doing a few Brazil comps with Joe back in 2001-2003 I learned a lot about wave riding(Clay Cullen, JK and Jeff Jacobs were also there) . I'm glad that I can have fun in flat-water, Surf, or bouy's and I respect all the guys that prefer whatever style they prefer. I've posted a total of only 20 something times since 2009, because when I get any free time I prefer to ride :)

kcmasterpiece

Sweet Baby Ray's Sucks
That video kinda makes me understand the FX1. Scott didnt seem as comfortable on the SN as he did on the 550. Seems like he wanted a cross between the 2...? Im just talking out of my ass, so pay no attention if thats way off...

That video kinda makes me understand the FX1. Scott didnt seem as comfortable on the SN as he did on the 550. Seems like he wanted a cross between the 2...? Im just talking out of my ass, so pay no attention if thats way off...

I believe that without Scott Watkins, there be no FX-1 and you are spot on imo. He was the man on the old Kawi's. All frestylers used the old 440/550 hulls with whatever they could put in in the late 80's early 90's. Then Scott helped Yamaha develop the FX-1. I drooled over what would become my 95 FX-1 at Cycle Springs on the showroom floor for over a year until it was '96, and it was the last one in the area and Yamaha stopped making them! We were finally united in May of 96. I heard some BS about no one could ride them....hmmm...mine sat in the showroom for over a year. It seemed sales was the main reason...cuz no one could ride the un-ridable FX-1???

Took me a while going from SJ SN to FX-1. I was used to standing on a big deck that required a lot of effort to carve. But I hate the SJ in the surf ever since 96 - feels like a dam bass boat or pontoon boat, but home is the FX-1 in the surf any day. I grew up watching / idolizing Hollywood, Ripper, Laine, The Flying Fish, The Jammer, and back when MacCluggage was still "The Kid"....spine still tingles thinking back. Coolest thing was / is being able to walk up and talk to these guys at the events. Stand up riders seem to be some of the best people in the world to meet, know and hang with. Goofy / SS / holds / straps or all stock = freeride and I believe that is the whole point. Ride your way.

It's all about what makes you happy and makes you live. Maybe someday I'll try a strap, foothold, but I got very used to moving in the tray like these guys did. I can ballroom dance on the SJ now...LOL!

However, took my 16 yr old nephew to the 2013 Daytona FreeRide...he's riding that old beater of a 90 SN SJ now...and he hates the FX-1 and that is perfectly fine by me. I do have some Tom21 footholds in the garage if he's interested, some other old parts...it's so cool to see a young guy dig it like I do!

So I'll give him the list for surf riding credentials so he won't end up like me :naughty:

unfortunately through all the pissing matches in this thread there is a real point lost. so many people get in this sport and get so set on doing rolls and flips they don't bother to learn handling and ski control. I'm sorry but there is no way you can have as good of control with both feet stuck in the back with no ability to transfer weight front to back. riding with one foot in the front and one in the back (whether strapped in or not) allows the rider to properly distribute weight all direction (something that is needed to ride a ski to it full potential). and Andrew is right a lot of good riders wont listen when told to get out of the holds, a lot of the times because they are successful at upside down tricks in the holds. that's fine but if your not just about to do that trick you will always have more control and better turning ability if you put a foot upfront. I choose to concentrate on learning to to RIDE my craft to its full potential and I believe that means not having both feet in the back....

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
A lot of surf riders that shred waves and also go big and get inverted still ride surf stance even when upside down. Landing a rotation in surf stance allows you to get your weight forward quickly and plane out to set yourself up for the next wave rather than bobbling around with you feet in the footholds trying to stand up and get moving forward again.

Even though I was one of the fruity ballerinas that take their hand and feet off upside down, I've been fully entertained by all of this. And that is how it should be viewed...this stuff is for fun. And I don't mind a strong personality stating their opinion, it's certainly better than silence.

For the record, I've gone through all different kinds of configurations as far as straps, holds and a combination of the two. I hate the way straps don't allow a lateral movement of your feet...that has lead to some knee issues for me. But I like the leverage advantage they provide...so as I start to ride again I'm giving that a shot. Most of the time when I was doing anything that was considered surfing, I had my feet out of what ever kind of hold, strap, etc. I was using in the back, and kept a foot, or toe under the front strap for leverage. I like to move my feet around, if I'm on a surfboard or a ski.

There are some very valid points in this thread, but if anyone is offended, you are taking this too seriously.

Top Bottom