Blaster Blaster B1 GP1200 motor build

I have owned my WaveBlaster for nearly 20 years. I have ridden and raced this thing for a long time and now its time for something different. I can never get rid of the old tub, so the 1200 swap sounded like a fun project. I found a zero hour rebuilt GP1200 motor and decided that the 20th anniversary edition of my blaster will be a 1.2 Liter Beast. It was kind of hard to make my self start to strip down he running gear of a very strong running blaster, but I did. I am parting out the 701 stuff and I am getting the hull ready for the swap. I have been working with Dave at Extreem Throttle and he has been very helpful so far. Defoaming the hull was quite a project, but that is done. I installed a new midshaft bearing assembly and I am using the 5 finger couplers from the 1200. I hope to have some pictures as the build moves along and I get the conversion parts in from Dave. Does anyone that has done this before have any advice for this build?

i Dont know Much about swapping it to a gp1200 but i know there are some posts on here of people swapping in kawi 1200's best thing todo is plan where the exhaust will sit as they may become an issue and dont rush it and pics tend to help on here, hope too see an update soon :)

Ya we do a ton of the Kawi swaps www.1100blaster.com

But we have done 1200 swaps using the Ada kits. www.1200blaster.com

Get the right prop from Impros and I don't know what you are using for a rear exit water box but we made a 3.5 inch into a dual 2.5 on the last 1200 we built and it came out sick. Only thing with the yami swaps are you deal with the big stock pipe, but the 1200 yami have great carbs stock.
The Kawi with the Rad Dudes kit you can get the weight dead center in the mounts making the blaster ride how it should. Because you don't have that giant stock pipe the yamis have. But all that being said you can't go wrong putting a trip in the Blasters, it makes a real fun ride. Post what what you think when it's done.
Pic of one we just did Yami 1200 style
a9yby8yr.jpg

Last edited:
And deforming is an easy job when you know the trick takes about 20mins. You take a sawsall with a long wood blade go in from the battery cut down a few times so now you are able to break off blocks and pull those out. Then just shop vac out the mess. Bam foam gone.

Awesome. Thanks for advice. I am going to be working on it over the next few days, so I will take some pics. I am curious as to what are peoples opinions on the best way to run the water lines on the GP1200 motor. I see that you are bypassing a bit more water than the stock set up in that photo.

I was able to get quite a bit done to the boat. This is what I started with :

photo3.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_07282.JPG

IMG_07312.JPG

This is a few pics of the GP1200 Motor when I brought it home. It is huge compared to the 701!!!

IMG_00282.JPG

IMG_00301.JPG

I removed all of my 701 running gear and painted the inside walls of the hull. While the motor was out I went ahead and replaced the midshaft bearing assembly with a new unit. I used the stock midshaft in the new bearing assembly but decided to use the 5 finger couplers from the GP1200 unit since they are designed for higher HP. This is the view of the hull with mounting plates installed.

IMG_00781.JPG

IMG_00791.JPG

This is a view of the new water box sitting in place behind the bulkhead.

IMG_0080.JPG

This view shows the hoses and pipe sitting in place as the exhaust crosses over from the new waterbox to the new right rear exit exhaust.

IMG_0081.JPG

This view shows everything starting to take shape in the rear compartment. You can see I ran my dual cooling lines into a Y to feed the cooling port on the GP1200 motor. After this picture, I also added some rubber bungee straps around the new waterbox to act as a cushion against the hull. Everything fit nicely into place and the stock storage compartment was put back into place also.

IMG_00844.JPG

Here are some views of the motor in place:

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_00932.JPG

IMG_00951.JPG

Everything is coming together really well so far. The motor fired off and sounds like a beast. Next step is to get pump and prop sorted out and go from there.

I have been waiting on a prop for this thing, but the weather was so nice that I couldn't wait any longer. I put the pump back in it with the Solas I prop that was in my limited set up and we took it out for a test run.

WOW!!!! It is just as I hoped it would be. This thing is crazy fast and sounds so mean. It is not really loud, although louder than a stock ski. It just has a deep throaty mean sound. I cant wait to see what it will do when its propped right with 12 vane pump.

The progress continues. Now I am working on the driveline.

IMG_4038.JPG

I hope to this pump together and have it in the water in a few weeks.

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4031.JPG

Solas 12 vane pump and 15/22 prop

I just received my prop today as well. You must be the other guy that Dave mentioned was waiting on the 15/22. Where do you ride at usually? Lake Conroe?

I haven't had my ski registered for public water in years. The few times that I have been riding it in recent years has mostly being running buoys at Three Palms Extreme Sports Park in Conroe.

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
Will the stock 155 pump off a gp1200 or waveraider or anything with the 155mm pump work on the blaster. i would guess just a wb1 driveshaft needed and boring the pump shoe to size

Top Bottom