Blaster Blaster project

Ok I threw in the 2.3 needle and got the popoff at around 14 psi. I also realized I had my primer feeding off of the fuel inlet and not the fuel return. I got it routed correctly. Maybe the primer was letting air into the feed line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 95
Ok I threw in the 2.3 needle and got the popoff at around 14 psi. I also realized I had my primer feeding off of the fuel inlet and not the fuel return. I got it routed correctly. Maybe the primer was letting air into the feed line.

Instructions for the primer I installed said to T it from the reserve line
hope you get that jetting worked out

The primer kit I put on was for a snowmobile so the instructions said to T to a fuel line, so I did.

However, I did run it on the hose after making my last changes and the BRAP is back! I can't wait to get the old Blaster back on the water!

Ok I put the Blaster in the water and I still have a huge dead spot between 75-100% throttle. I ran a simple test at wide open throttle to see if it is running rich or lean. While at wide open throttle I pumped the primer to manually richen the carb. When pumping the primer the ski pretty much tries to tear my arms from the socket. It pulls so hard it ridiculous. So my thinking is my main is still small or something else is going on. If the main was to big the motor would bog or stall when I pumped the primer. I have a 165 main which is pretty fat for 4000'. Let me know what you think!

I'll have to get a 170 coming. While my ski was in the water idling, I sprayed carb cleaner on every surface to see if there was a change in RPM but it stayed completely stable and didn't change at all.

I was able to get 45.8mph out it at only a little less than 75% throttle. I'd like to hit a top speed of high 40's or maybe even 50mph once I get it dialed in. Last year, my best top speed was 40mph so I'm moving in the right direction!

I hit 33.9mph on my Jammer though... I'm a little proud of that speed with a rider my size!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 88
I'm going to be testing the crankcase for lake and had an idea. I have a quick cap for pipes that will hold 10psi that will clamp on to the end of the stinger. Would I be able to do a crankcase pressure test to check for leaks with the exhaust installed. I am going to block off all of the cooling lines so the pipe shouldn't leak. Has anyone else tried this?

Does anyone have a block off plate and rubber seal to block off the carb flange during the test?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 72
I finally got a chance to work on my ski. I caped off the stinger and all water inlet barbs. I used a sheet of viton rubber and sandwiched it between the carb and intake manifold.

I placed the hose of my bike tire pump onto the pulse barb and slowly pumped it up. I heard a hissing sound so knew there was an air leak. I sprayed the engine off with soapy water to look for bubbles. The coupling nut for the carb side girdle bolt was leaking slightly. The nut had came loose a little. I pulled it off and put a little 1211 around the threads and retorqued the coupling nut and girdle bolt. Pressurized it again and there were no longer bubbles coming from anywhere on the motor, but there was still a hissing sound. I found the lower v band on the pipe loosened up. I put lock tight on the bolt and retorqued the band. I pumped it up and it no longer made a sound.

I wanted a more percise test so I broke out my MightyVac pressure/vacuum tester. I pressurized the motor and pipe to 10 psi and it held at 10 psi! I started the timer to see if it would hold pressure for a minimum of ten minutes. I finally stopped my test after the pressure had held perfectly at 10 psi for over 47 minutes! My motor is sealed!

Now I should be able to this thing tuned!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image.png
    image.png
    271.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 65
This was a lot easier than pulling the pipe. At least not only do I know the motor is perfectly sealed but also the pipe! It's nice because I don't have to unnecessarily destroy any gaskets. That MightyVac pump works great! It did not take very long at all to pressurize the motor and pipe. The cap was only about $1 and the 12"x12" piece of viton rubber was around $1.50. So for less than $3, I can do leak down test with ease!

Now to see if I can get to my 50mph goal...

Hi everyone! It has been a while but I finally got the blaster in the water. Even with the 170 main I have a dead spot at 75-100% throttle. I double and triple checked and there is no air leak, the carb is immaculate and it is getting plenty of fuel. I'm starting to think the 46mm carb is too big a bore for my setup at my altitude (4400+). I'm thinking there isn't enough carb signal to pull enough fuel at the big end. I'm thinking about going back to my SBN44 and starting with the jetting for a B pipe. What are your thoughts? Ditch the 46? Try the factory air box on the 46?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Try the factory air box or something to restrict air flow and raise the pop off pressure. That will help with signal.

So my pop off is right around 14psi now, what psi should I shoot for? I'll give the stock air box with single screen a shot. I really don't want to give up on the 46mm carb yet because I've heard great things about the combo I have.

I know this thing is staving for fuel at the big end because if I go full throttle and pump the primer to manually inrichen the mixture it nearly throws me off it pulls so hard! I know the power is there I just have to figure out the puzzle to get it.

So the filter height on the vortex filter is pretty tall, about 2.5" tall. I'm thinking of restricting the airflow by placing a 7/8-1" strap around the outside surface of the filter. I'm thinking this should add some resistance and hopefully help boost the signal a enough to eliminate my big end starvation. This FA is a clean setup that makes everything on that side of the motor easy to get to. I'm big on making things easy in the long run. I demonstrated this with my setup to check for air leaks. No more having to remove the pipe! My laziness lead to a pretty cool and cheap setup!

I guess I'm just not ready to give up on the OP intake quite yet. I wish Ocean Pro just made a lower filter element but this Jerry-rig will hopefully take care of the issue. When I go out to test I'm going to bring my factory blaster FA with just in case along with my pilot and main jet collection! One of these days I'll get this thing dialed and it will be glorious!

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 48

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
That air filter should be fine. I ran it on my 46 when I was getting 50mph +

How hot is the pipe getting while riding? Maybe she is getting a ton of water dumped into her? Also search on groupk. I believe they talk about this issue.

The pipe gets warm but you can hold your hand on it. I bought some inline ball valves to adjust pressure but never installed them. You think it's filling the pipe with too much water and that's causing the motor to loose it on the top end? Idle to mid rang seems pretty strong.

Top Bottom