Blaster top end issue

Took my 94 blaster 700 out today. Riva red pipe, Riva water box, ada head, mikuni 44 sbn. So I have a video I'll post. It's runs okay, I put in new plugs today and went for a ride. I was flying full speed, it was running great. Then as usual(this has happened before) towards the end of me riping around and starting to get tired, I head in and start loosing top end. It revs up and down and won't get up to speed. Starts at about a quarter throttle and does the same thing all the way up to full throttle. Let me know if you have suggestions. I rebuilt the carb with a mikuni kit. Hoping the pump was built correct l, which I am almost certain it is. Please help!

-Mike

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I'm by no means an expert but is it possible it's overheating? I only say that since it happens at the end of a ride.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. On the hose I was running cold hose water through it and when I was out riding I have a side through hull pisser that I usually feel the temp of to make sure it's not scalding hot. Heat soak could be an issue but this is leading me to believe it's a carb issue. Maybe pop off pressure or the pulse pump would cause that?

Are your fuel lines near your exhaust? I'm new to skis but I know in the atv world I've heard of fuel boiling before it gets to the carbs which can cause intermittent issues? Like I said I really have no idea, just trying to think outside the box since you already rebuilt the carbs.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Yea I'll check those and I'll check the temp while it's running. It did only happen after a little bit of riding so maybe it was hot. So I'll post back the results of checking what you've said thus far. Thanks.

So I just started the ski and it does what happened in the video right away so I don't think overheating is the issue. Maybe the carb pump or pop off or electrical issue would cause that?

Make sure the check valve and vent hose on your tank are passing air. It could be drawing a vacuum on the tank and starving for fuel if the tank is not breathing. It's a dangerous thing to have that happen. I lost two top ends from going lean once before I figured out it was such a simple problem causing it.

Great idea. So when I open the gas cap it makes a sound like it's sucking air back in. Should it? Is the tank supposed to be under vacuum or pressure? Or at equilibrium with use of a vent. This is a great think to check. Do you think I should run it on land with the cap open to test it? Lots of questions about this but I never thought to check the gas tank cause I'm not very sure how it works

It should not make a sound. It sounds like the vent is stopped up. It needs to be able to breath air in as your fuel disappears. If it doesn't, a vacuum will be created that your diaphragm fuel pump will not be able to overcome and it will starve for fuel.

Great I hope this is my issue. I will give it a try in the morning. Thanks alot for the response I'll post back my result

Can a exhaust leak on the riva red pipe really cause a blown piston?? Octane??? Just wondering for my own benefit also.. That red pipe is always coming loose..

I was tuning it and changing springs so the leak affected what I was doing but didn't cause anything untill I tuned too lean I bet

Top Bottom