Boat wake jumping help

I don't know why I can't seem to get this right, but what is the best way to hit a boat wake? I'm hesitant to shoot right for the biggest part of the wake near the stern, don't want to piss people off... so I've tried a couple of ways to hit them. I usually come in at 90 degrees to the direction the boat is traveling, maybe 30ft behind it, but here lies the problem... the first wave is usually small and the second wave is nice and steep. I want the second wave... but I can never seem to get the timing right. I hit the first wave and either dig into the second wave, or I over jump the second wave, or I fall trying to skip over the first wave.

The other method, I come in at 4 o'clock to the boats direction of travel... since I'm not hitting the waves head on the effective timing is easier. This works ok, but I can never hit it right because I'm hitting it at an angle and I'm on a very narrow ski (JS-440) so it's not easy.

And then there's jumping the wave itself... I usually try to hop and push off the wave with my legs just as I hit it... I think that's the right way to do it, but again, timing.

For now I've been practicing building up and jumping my own wakes which has been helping.

I always hit the second wave. I try to roll easy over the ass end of the first one to make sure I get down in the trough because that always seems to be the steepest part of the second wave. I always go slow enough over the first one to make sure my pump stays hooked up and to keep the rpms down in b pipe hit territory. I also usually try to be perpendicular to the wakes when i hit them.

Last edited:
I ride a sxr and a js550. For some reason I have better luck jumping the 550. Maybe because of weight?
I prefer the 4oclock line of direction.
I will almost hop over the first one so that I'm low enough in the water Before I hit the second wake. Making the second bigger than it actually is. Hope this helps. Bring a parachute

i usually if the nose of the boat is at 12 then i come in at about 2 or 230, and i go huge. big thing seems to be speed for me. roughly matching the boats speed seems to work the best for me.

Buckwild12

I'm moved by DASA power!
The first wave is where it's at, at least with big boats, much more pop, we aim 5-10 feet off the stern so we look good in pictures that are taken. Depending on the bow wake of course, that you have to get the timing of. But we really only target big boats 37+ feet. Anything smaller and you are wasting gas.

Just got back from riding, was determined to jump some wakes, problem is, Friday night, overcast, man no boats. I'm circling the channel like a buzzard playing in my own wake when this HUGE cruiser comes rolling through, I can see the wake behind it and it's like waist high! Its actually white capping! Holy poop this is gonna be good!

So I wait for him and then get a good running start... roll the first wave and hit the highest point of the second wave, seriously it seemed so big I almost backed off the thottle ... anyway, I push off and as I left the water I saw the next huge roller behind it... seemed like it was so far away I was sure I was going to land on the fact of it. I pulled the ski up with my ankles and ended up clearing it easily and landing on the back side of it. Man that was the biggest jump I've ever done on a ski! Expected a hard landing but it wasn't hard at all (not like a couch)!

Totally stoked. Today was the best day of riding I've ever had on my ski... going out tomorrow again with a gopro this time to get some jumps on video.

I spent the rest of the tank setting up wakes and jumping them and practicing subs.

The more I ride standups the more I love them.

licorice me there mad enough at the couch riders as long as u feel it's safe and not putting itself or others in harms way . Peg it to get nose up off of the first huge white cap wake (right at back of boat) let nose fall into the wake then peg it and bring it up idk what u ride . But I ride a tank Sxr with a built motor and foot holds . Works every time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you know the boat owner or dont mind pissin people off.

How are they going to get to know you when you're 100+ foot behind? We always hit the first wake, I come in hot, let off right before I go over the trough from the bow wake, then hammer it at the bottom of the wake. I used to hit the second wake when I was younger, first wake is where it's at. Most people around us are nice enough to slow down and throw us a wake when they see us now.

How are they going to get to know you when you're 100+ foot behind? We always hit the first wake, I come in hot, let off right before I go over the trough from the bow wake, then hammer it at the bottom of the wake. I used to hit the second wake when I was younger, first wake is where it's at. Most people around us are nice enough to slow down and throw us a wake when they see us now.

Anything behind the first wake is waste of a perfectly good wake. It's pretty cool when the driver of a 45+ foot boat (who we personally don't know) sees us in the distance, deliberately slows down to throw a wake and flags us over to hit it. I think people on here would be surprised at how often that actually happens.

Right ok then first wake it is! Did not get out today, spent all day replacing a start button harness. Should have been easy but you know how it goes.

Btw, I'm riding a JS440, so gunning it between wakes just ain't gonna happen. Kinda need to carry the speed so I think the first wake is probably the right idea. If I get close enough to the boat, it's a good wave.

I like to come from about 3 or 4 o clock if the front of the boat is 12. You can see where the first wake starts to end, I do a little pre hop like I am trying to drop in and then smash the gas. This is off of a 20 foot ski boat wake, not some huge yacht it's all about timing.
d643dfc385ccabfc95ca284a7d79d386.jpg

Sorry for the poopty quality

de22862b6453b4269e47209829b5c2d7.jpg

This is our buddy Mark. Clears wake to wake behind 50+ft boats all day. Sends it off the first wake. But we rarely ever see boats under 30...and we won't even chase a boat that small lol. But jumping small wakes the 2nd seems better, off large stuff the first is a must, it's more like a smooth ramp with great vert.

Sweet ok, so sounds like first wake for big boats and 2nd wake for small boats.

Those are some huge jumps. JRock637's jump looks exactly like the wake I hit a couple days ago. I didn't get anywhere near that high, but then I am on a JS440 not a 650 or 750, and I am around 200lbs so well it's just the reality of it.

de22862b6453b4269e47209829b5c2d7.jpg

This is our buddy Mark. Clears wake to wake behind 50+ft boats all day. Sends it off the first wake. But we rarely ever see boats under 30...and we won't even chase a boat that small lol. But jumping small wakes the 2nd seems better, off large stuff the first is a must, it's more like a smooth ramp with great vert.

Lmfao what a beast! I never get the chance to ride with anything big. Maybe a good malibu that is wake surfing is about is big as I have hot. Sounds like I need to hit bigger waters.

Top Bottom