Super Jet BOB GEN2 Add fuel gauge?

Has anyone already done or know how to add a fuel gauge or just a warning light when the tank is low. My bob should be here thursday and im going to start building it and I think it would be cool to add a warning light when the tank is low seeing as im running such a small tank.

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
i think realistically your just going to have to learn gauge your fuel consumption to ride time ratio ,thats how we do it. i mean your boat now doesn't have a gauge on it ,the only thing you will be without is reserve( which i understand could be a problem )#1 fill up each time you go out ! you will have a splash over 2 gallons which will give a fair amount of ride time depending on your motor set up .i just ordered the 9.0 tank (for chasing the boat )this tank gives you a whopping 2.5 gallons, but haven't got it yet so i don't know how it will fit ? i do know this much ,that you can get a pretty good session out of 2.5 gallons with my set up. will keep you posted

Last edited:
im running a bored and ported 760, high comp head and dual 44s and take the occasional ocean rides where your looking at a 5-6 mile round trip so would like that heads up if i need to head shore been stranded almost a mile out before was not a good day but in the end can always pull off a take the hood off if need be. wouldnt be much to throw a small gauge in there, I think it would like kind of cool incorporated into the hull

rubbertoe

X-H20 certified
yea i hear where your coming from ,in the ocean i would want the heads up for sure ! fab it up !!! it also wouldn't be that hard to make your stock tank work .inserts & epoxy idk.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Ride for a while and lift the hood enough for you to peek inside while floating... Seriously though, I looked into this heavily a while back and it's not really practical. The cheap fuel sending units are floats on a stick and are designed to work in shallow and wide tanks so they don't work very well for our tall narrow tanks. The sending units that would work, the electrical reed switches, are more expensive and usually around $60+ for the sender only then you have to buy $20+ gauge as well. So in order to make it work, you're looking at almost $100 shipped for the parts you need.

or....you can hook up your fuel switch from your stock ski and run a second line inside your kart tank. I used the return fitting as my "on" position with a slightly shorter line in the tank and the primary fitting as my "reserve". I then have to add a small barb in the tank cap for the vent barb since the old vent barb was now my return fitting.....or better yet, spend the extra money and get a custom tank built that will hold more fuel.

If you install a fuel guage you may need a seat next, and reverse and some mirrors, and maybe a spot for a cooler, and a spot for your girl to ride on it with you. I think they make something just like that called a sitdown. Just joking with you, sounds like you are an ocean rider building a flat water ski.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Why don't you just run a stock sj tank? It's not like the bobs need to be light to flip? The hull design is enough.

Edit: especially if you are riding the ocean and it's a far ride. Put a stock sj tank in and be happy you aren't swimming home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom