BR Clue 1 - Set Up

wildman326

Who else?
Wow. Last night was very interesting. I had an "a-ha". I've tried many different roll set-up wakes, but few of them seemed promising. Every now and then I'd get a glimpse of what it "should" look like.

Last night I think I figured out how to do it over and over again. I was getting about 7 out of 10 set-ups that could be launched off of. Most of the advice I was given on the last thread is not very useful if I can't get enough air (but I plan to use it all now.)

Several people said "It's in the set-up" or "It's all in the set-up" . . . well I think it definitely starts there.

A barrel roll is a trick. A sequence of moves that, if done correctly, send the "performer" into an aerial spin. There is more than one way to do one, but certain aspects must exist in EVERY roll.

My "a-ha" was this - the set-up wake (that I've found) needs to be created by a slow left turn that turns into a hook at a variety of speeds. I may have read what I'm about to type before, but it never hit home until last night.

At idle you make very little wake. At WOT you make very little wake (more, but still not very big.) But, between idle and WOT you do make a nice sized launch wake.

I noticed that sometimes when I'd hook left and accidentally gun it and then come back the wake would be "open" on the end that I'd left. In other words it would not have the little double wake that is so damned hard to set up on. Instead it would have a nice little jump. When I went off this wake I got higher than any other set-up I've EVER made.

So I thought I had an idea on Sunday and made the last post stating that "I was making pretty good set-ups." Well, I only had a small clue compared to what I saw last night.

What I ended up with was a slow left turn starting at idle and gradually speeding up until about 1/3 - 1/2 throttle. Then a little more turn to the left and gun it for about 1.5 seconds or enough to get 1.5 - 3 boat lengths away. Turn and return approximately along the same path I had just taken.

What you come back to is a jump where the wake ended because you sped up past "good wake making" speed. So it's open and therefore you don't have the double jump that can't be launched off as easily.

You can make this launch ramp quite quickly and it is consistently the same (at least as consistent as you are in your moves.)

Sometimes you can see it coming at you and you can "feel" where it will be when you get to it and really hit it big.

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that a BR is very possible with the amount of air this set-up can produce. All I've got to do now is iron out the rest.

In the past my biggest problem was that no matter what I did there was always at least one little jump in front of the big one. So I tried a million ways to get over that little one without losing my set-up stance. It seemed like too much to do at the same time, like I was so busy trying to get over the little one that I'd forget all the other stuff (tuck, look left then right, crouch, hands at waist, etc.)

Now I can see how you could launch off of this wake - completely ready to "roll." You don't have to "pre-jump" as much because you don't need to get over the little front wake.

I'm so excited I can't believe it!! I haven't had a breakthrough like this in quite some time.

I'm a teacher and one of the attributes that makes me good at being a teacher is that "I remember what I didn't used to know." So many people learn something and then can't tell you what it used to be like before they couldn't do it.

My hope here is that I can help others to not waste as much time as I did looking for the way to do this first step. I hope others that are way better at this than I am can chime in and let me know what they think, AND that those who don't know or understand what I'm saying will ask questions to better understand.

Last edited:

Rockstar

Dicksmacker
Wow. Thanks Wesley, looks like good advise man. Very thorough. I will definately learn from this when it comes time for me to do BR's. Sadly, I have a looonngg ways to go though... :frown:

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
I got a long way to go as well-but this is the best commentary I have read yet-does not leave any room for guessing! I'm going to try this method this weekend!!!! My dumass is tryin to roll a SXR!!! I know peeps that are doin it-but I sure have made things hard on myself by startin off w/wrong ski!
Thanks 4 the great thread.:biggrin:

wildman326

Who else?
OK. I made a diagram of what I am talking about. Please feel free to ask if you have questions.

The blue lines are the wakes. As you can see there are 2. I've also tried to demonstrate that they both "end." You go between the 2 wakes (which is easier because they end) and hit the back one. You can also hit the end of the front one sometimes.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Barrel roll diagram.JPG
    Barrel roll diagram.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Rockstar

Dicksmacker
wildman326 said:
OK. I made a diagram of what I am talking about. Please feel free to ask if you have questions.

I like the swirl in the black line. Does that represent the BR? :biggrin:

Yamah0

XFT
I tried your method but thought the wake was quite small.

Heres the way i do it.. if you get that angle on the left turn well, ull get quite a big sharp wake... works for me.

Attachments

• BR.JPG
    BR.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 93

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
here is the jpeg version of wildmans drawing.

always remember for web use

.bmp= :firedevil::rocketwhore::spank::spankme:

.jpeg or .jpg =:arms::Banane35:

Attachments

• Barrel roll diagram.jpg
    Barrel roll diagram.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

wildman326

Who else?
Hmmm. Looks interesting. I'll try that tonight. When I cut a turn that is as sharp as that looks I do get a big set-up, but it is surrounded by little wakes that make it "worthless".

Gotta say though, if the set-up that you are getting is small you are doing it differently than I am (or our definitions of small and large are different)

We need a multi-camera video with different angles so we can see everything a person is doing to set-up. When I watch a video that someone says "Shows how to make a set up." it's only got 2 dimensions, so you are limited to what you can see.

Sorry about the pic format. I changed it.

Last edited:

parrdaddy

No he will not!
Is it just me, or do both Wildman's and Yamah0's setups look the same, atleast on the important part? That's how I do mine, and I know that you can change the face of the wave a good bit by varying your speed and turn angle. The important thing is to hit the wave before you can acutally see it (this is of course after you have figured out the timing and placement of it by making 4028 practice set-up waves) since it's not there very long and if you wait to see it, it will be gone before you hit it. Disclaimer, I am a horrible teacher and I never really know what I do.......but I think this is how I do it :thinking:

parrdaddy said:
Is it just me, or do both Wildman's and Yamah0's setups look the same, atleast on the important part? That's how I do mine, and I know that you can change the face of the wave a good bit by varying your speed and turn angle. The important thing is to hit the wave before you can acutally see it (this is of course after you have figured out the timing and placement of it by making 4028 practice set-up waves) since it's not there very long and if you wait to see it, it will be gone before you hit it. Disclaimer, I am a horrible teacher and I never really know what I do.......but I think this is how I do it :thinking:

this looks to be the pretty much the same as my setup wakes..granted, im just setting up for stabs....

but, the best ones turn out withOUT thinking about them...in fact, the best ones are over before you even know whats happening....

Tim

X-
P-Diddy wrote:
"The important thing is to hit the wave before you can acutally see it (this is of course after you have figured out the timing and placement of it by making 4028 practice set-up waves) since it's not there very long and if you wait to see it, it will be gone before you hit it."

Amen. Could not have said it better.

Tim

freestylegeek

waiting...
Tim said:
P-Diddy wrote:
"The important thing is to hit the wave before you can acutally see it (this is of course after you have figured out the timing and placement of it by making 4028 practice set-up waves) since it's not there very long and if you wait to see it, it will be gone before you hit it."

Amen. Could not have said it better.

Tim

That's sums it all up, doesn't it!

Top Bottom