Build for Battlefield 3! Looking for input

Probably starting in september when the ski is rdy to sleep, sell my harley, buy a rockin superjet and I will start piecing this together at microcenter. Gonna be pretty exciting Winter. This will be my first build, this is what I have in mind:

NZXT Phantom Tower (White)
Corsair brand CPU Cooler
Intel I5 2500k CPU
Gigabyte Z68 Motherboard w/ 2x 16x PCI-E slots to future proof SLI upgrades
8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM Corsair brand
Corsair 750W PSU TVX2
EVGA GTX 570 1.2GB Superclocked
Creative Labs Soundcard

I will be hooking this up to my home theater, I got a 42" LG 1080P display, yamaha 5.1 reciever, sony bookshelf speakers for the front, middle and rear are yamahas with a polk audio 10" wireless subwoofer.

I think this will total me around $1200 and will dominate Battlefield 3 on 1080p. Inputs?

Sounds good so far. What OS? I would never reccommend gaming on anything other than a moitor made for gaming......2ms 27" is MORE than enough. It HAS to be 2ms or better IMO. Anything less has noticable ghosting and sucks bad! I won't even play on anything slower.

And IMO Microcenter is overpriced 99% of the time. I have one here in Cleveland too and I have over 1000 custom PC's in this area and rarely step foot in that place. Newegg all day long. IMO.

seeing this thread makes me want to do the same. I used to be huge into computer gaming, kind of got out of it when I got an xbox to play all my friends. I bought Battlefield 2 the first day it came out forever ago, and built a system accordingly back then. Now its just a pile of crap. Its so amazing in 5 years how much advancement there has been. Like every component I have is obsolete for modern games, it wouldnt even be worth upgrading a single thing.

Check out newegg.com for prices and make sure you get a sandy bridge i5. Looks good!

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

Sounds good so far. What OS? I would never reccommend gaming on anything other than a moitor made for gaming......2ms 27" is MORE than enough. It HAS to be 2ms or better IMO. Anything less has noticable ghosting and sucks bad! I won't even play on anything slower.

My tv is more than capable. I know I was the first to jump on the Google TV bandwagon last year and my current PC had such a delay it was horrendous. The google tv had all sorts of image enhancements that couldn't be disabled. I returned it and found my LG tv, much cheaper and has all the hook ups for traditional monitor displays. It has a gaming mode that turns off all the image enhancements. Microcenter's prices are the same, if not slightly cheaper than newegg. I was just there the other day, of course taxes will probably cost more than shipping but whenever I talk to a sales rep there, they work with comission and usually are tons of help and even get cheaper prices when they plug it into the computer. They helped me find a video card last year for $60 after rebate that ran Bad Company 2 great!

Buckwild12

I'm moved by DASA power!
I have a similar setup and cant wait for Battlefield 3, get the 3d capable setup from nvidia, its backward compatible for other older games and a really cool feature in general! we should start a list of everyones handle and get some games going. I'd love to play with fellow jetskiers!

I figured id follow up on this thread. I built my PC the other day and have been toying with the battlefield 3 beta. The game looks promising, a little buggy. I missed the caspian border part of the beta so that kinda sucks. I guess ill just have to wait until October 25th... Here's my final build

CPU; Intel I7 2600k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68 XP
GPU; GTX 570 1280MB
Power Supply; Ocz Tech Fatality 750W
RAM: Kingston 4GB x2
Hard Drive; Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM
CD Drive; LG 22x DVD/RW
Case; NZXT Phantom (White)
OS; Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

I run Battlefield 3 on ultra with maybe 4x AA on my 1080p display. it runs great with this set up. I was $1260 out the door before $80 mail in rebates. Playstation 3 is officially for sale.

I figured id follow up on this thread. I built my PC the other day and have been toying with the battlefield 3 beta. The game looks promising, a little buggy. I missed the caspian border part of the beta so that kinda sucks. I guess ill just have to wait until October 25th... Here's my final build

CPU; Intel I7 2600k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68 XP
GPU; GTX 570 1280MB
Power Supply; Ocz Tech Fatality 750W
RAM: Kingston 4GB x2
Hard Drive; Seagate 1 TB 7200 RPM
CD Drive; LG 22x DVD/RW
Case; NZXT Phantom (White)
OS; Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

I run Battlefield 3 on ultra with maybe 4x AA on my 1080p display. it runs great with this set up. I was $1260 out the door before $80 mail in rebates. Playstation 3 is officially for sale.
I'm sorry, but why wouldn't you just play it on the PS3 and save the $1260?

No comparison whatsoever....it is like comparing a laserjet to a Rickter.

A PC game (especially this one cuz they said they went all out on the PC version!!) with a 2MS monitor and the right video card behind it is 10x more powerful than even next generation console games.

If you ever get a chance check them out side by side and you will never want to touch a console again. And he would have only saved half after buying the console and all the BS that goes with it....and he could never ever update it.

Last edited:
No comparison whatsoever....it is like comparing a laserjet to a Rickter.

A PC game (especially this one cuz they said they went all out on the PC version!!) with a 2MS monitor and the right video card behind it is 10x more powerful than even next generation console games.

If you ever get a chance check them out side by side and you will never want to touch a console again. And he would have only saved half after buying the console and all the BS that goes with it....and he could never ever update it.

x2. When they create a game with the main platform as PC, the graphics are jacked up, for they know the people who play it can handle the graphics. And by the chance that one's computer doesn't meet the max requirements, you can always lower the settings. PS3 and Xbox on the other hand have only one standard. So, knowing that, developers will drop the settings to what is simply possible to play on them without any slight bit of lag (basically minimum now a days).

PC is the only way to go, sadly it costs quite a bit more to keep it up to date, but hell, you need one anyways. Might as well just have a really nice one. :)

Oh my name is monsterfox89 (didn't realize my origins name was going to be used as the character name) on the beta. Look me up and feel free to add me

Yeah ill try to add you. Im still trying to figure out this Origin thing. My name is CurbYourHo on origin.

I also forgot to mention the rest of my set up, I pride myself in it because it took alot of time and patience to build this up. I have my PC connected to my LG 42" 1080p screen, a Yamaha 5.1 AV Reciever (for more bottom end :wiggle:), Sony 3-way bookshelf speakers, center and rear yamaha speakers and a Polk 10" wireless subwoofer.

As for a bedroom chair, im making due with a car seat out of a 2009 Mercury Milan and my subwoofer as a mouse pad.

Some people may wonder why, for battlefield 3? Yeah. But it also makes a great entertainment center for Netflix, Hulu Plus and casual internet browsing.

Top Bottom