Bun vs xs engines

Tuning is time consuming and you only learn by trial and error. Reading stuff on the forums is helpful but it's just a lot of personal experience needed. Pump tuning is quite an animal to get just right.
Yes. Buy the pipe, carbs, exhaust, and prop they recommend.
I personally run a php 898 and I bought the prop recommended, the carbs and recommended jets, pipe and pipe settings etc. I spent a couple minutes on the trailer in the water making sure the temps were good.. Then I was off to flipping immediately after. Ski was pretty much dialed right off the bat.
That’s good to know. Makes things slightly difficult if you decide to just change one component though

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
I'm sure HSI stocks some bun parts but if you're going for reliability and product support I would choose xscream if you want to go the 1200 route. It's a tried and trued setup with tons of info on how to set it up from multiple people. With the Bun, you're limited to HSI for support. Not saying that's a bad thing, but just a thought. Bun engines are just starting to be a more common thing in the US. It's been proven they rip extremely well though. There's motors I avoid due to lack of support.

Tpe1105 would be an upgrade over your dasa1100 especially if you choose their higher end porting. Plus @Jr.(he also would have great advice on choosing a 11-1200 motor and engine reliability)supports their products and would make sure you're set up extra well.
If youre chasing reliability and going full out with high compression, I wouldn't recommend a 12 unless you're willing to tear it down preventively and you understand the risks.
What's your secret on how to contact XScream? I'm a long standing customer of them (Bought 4 motors/cylinder kits from) and get a full mailbox when I call.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about skis to build my own. I really wish I did. I’ve tried watching videos but as someone who hasn’t grown up around these machines, it’s hard to learn just from videos and reading in this forum. So my best bet is to purchase an already tuned ski. I’m just hoping it doesn’t cause more problems than it’s worth. But at least it’ll give me a good starting ground so I could always sell the engine and try something new.

Thanks for your help.
Find every build thread on here. There are plenty. I have 2 threads, 1 on a Superfreak, other on an new Edge Build....... This is what makes this site better than any FB Page. You can go look and easily find!

hornedogg79

dodgin' bass boats
If so that's really sad. I need sleeves and pistons for my SS900 (hens teeth)
Sad indeed. I have some clean used 90mm pistons here. Maybe everyone's favorite youtube machinist/dyno tester could make sleeves? Did you try emailing xscream?

I remember that year at world finals when lee stone rode the Japanese ski at body beach. Everyone was like "Holy $#!+", including Lee. He's run the Bun since.

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Sad indeed. I have some clean used 90mm pistons here. Maybe everyone's favorite youtube machinist/dyno tester could make sleeves? Did you try emailing xscream?

I remember that year at world finals when lee stone rode the Japanese ski at body beach. Everyone was like "Holy $#!+", including Lee. He's run the Bun since.
The last time I talked with Rick, (BTW a real nice and knowledgeable guy) was about a year ago to return my SS865 cylinder they had sitting around for over 2 years...waiting for sleeves. I sold that setup here on the X cheap to pay for some vet bills. (Not whining, just sayin).
I've got some misc used pistons too. Nothing useful for the direction I need to go
I get it...From Xscream's view, it"s not worth the investment to have batch's of sleeves and Weisco pistons made for these cylinders lying around. Time to move on...

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
What's your secret on how to contact XScream? I'm a long standing customer of them (Bought 4 motors/cylinder kits from) and get a full mailbox when I call.
I was emailing them and was getting pretty quick responses and tricky has always answered my PMs on here and calls. That was over a year ago now though.

I have a feeling that in the next few years, 2 strokes will be all but gone. The epa has been slowly cracking down on 2 strokes over the last few years. And the only ones in jetskis still doing 2 strokes are standups. I believe that market will be gone soon as well. It's completely up to us to keep the sport going as well as passing the knowledge along to the next generation or it will completely die out.

I have a feeling that in the next few years, 2 strokes will be all but gone. The epa has been slowly cracking down on 2 strokes over the last few years. And the only ones in jetskis still doing 2 strokes are standups. I believe that market will be gone soon as well. It's completely up to us to keep the sport going as well as passing the knowledge along to the next generation or it will completely die out.
2strokes will never die in the sport where lightweight and N/A power is needed, But with that said, i think we will se more efi/direct injection in the coming 2strokes, just like it have developed in the snowmobile industry, the racing and deepsnow segment is 90% dominated by 2strokes, and we talking n/a 2strokes at 850ish CCs producing 160-165hp on pumpgas, thats pretty bad ass 2strokes thats allow you to keep it wide open as long as you like, the racing 600CCs is up to around 140-145hp on 99octane.

I completely agree with you that 2 strokes make more power per weight than a 4 stroke ever could. However, those that are in charge of making decisions that affect all of us want to get rid of internal combustion engines all together. I mean even string trimmers now come with 4 stroke engines.. not to mention how lithium powered things are quickly taking over. Everyone is buying into the convenience not realizing how they're actively supporting the end of I/C engines all together by buying all of these battery powered tools/ vehicles. Example, I rode a talaria this past weekend which is basically a 72v powered dirt bike. We were ripping through trails at 1 am with no concern about waking neighbors. The lack of noise and having to buy gas is enough to sway many people. I also fly rc planes and it is very rare to see anything gas anymore.. in fact most are annoyed by the gas planes due to the noise. They may not completely go away, but they will just be priced right out of the market which we are already seeing..

Yes its the demand that controls the buisness, nothing bad in that, but to belive that 2strokes if out of buisness in a few years, nah dont think so but I would like to see lightweight battery and a 160hp electric ski would be absolute bonkers and rip your arms off no doubt and I guess when that tech is here for use it will be less then a 14k package with carbs and ign dasa/bun/xs

Don't hold your breath for a new two stroke to ever happen. Bomber could do it, but they probably won't. Polaris could but even less likely. Arctic cat is more likely to go out of business than ever make a ski again. No other company is doing any development of two strokes for production. The Japanese companies have zero interest in two strokes and will sin have nobody working for them that has EVER done development on a two strike if that is not already the case.

That doesn't mean the hobby will die though. It's a nich that will exist as a nich for a very long time. People still have and enjoy model A Fords and p51 Mustangs and horses and buggies.

In the pwc industry we probably never will see a production 2stroke ever again.
But what I said was that 2stroke development among big brands (brp,polaris,a-c,ktm,etc) is not dead, and wont be for a decent amount of future imo

No large mfg ever served this aspect of watercraft. They can’t because of reliability issues caused by large displacement cylinders and poor owners.

In the pwc industry we probably never will see a production 2stroke ever again.
But what I said was that 2stroke development among big brands (brp,polaris,a-c,ktm,etc) is not dead, and wont be for a decent amount of future imo
I think it is fair to say that development is not dead, but for jetskiing specifically, its a hard pill to swallow that we definitely have more suppliers exit the game than enter. There is near zero sales volume compared to other powersports, that's why everything needs to be made out of billet and cost $40k for a top level ski. It's all custom machined and the hulls/other composites made out of a guys garage.

Top Bottom