Calling out Chuckie from Team Scream on msd tl

crammit442

makin' legs
the most important thing about the MSD working in salt is to make sure you have a good seal between the flywheel cover and the cases. I also found out the hard way that the MSD flywheel cover gromet suck azz, you need to use the OEM rubber ones along with a good amount of silicone.

Actually there really isn't much to go wrong in that area on a TL system. There are no connections in there. I use the MSD grommet with no problems. Most TL issues are attributable to bad ground or positive connections. After that, the various connections from wire to wire are the big culprits. Using ALL soldered connections as well as deutsch or weatherpack connectors and liberal amounts of GOOD grease at all connections will make everything run fine.

Charles

Actually there really isn't much to go wrong in that area on a TL system. There are no connections in there. I use the MSD grommet with no problems. Most TL issues are attributable to bad ground or positive connections. After that, the various connections from wire to wire are the big culprits. Using ALL soldered connections as well as deutsch or weatherpack connectors and liberal amounts of GOOD grease at all connections will make everything run fine.

Charles

Agreed !!!!!!!!!

JAM

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
Whey even run a TL it seams they are more trouble than they are worth. That said I have never ridden a ski with one so what the hell do I know.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Whey even run a TL it seams they are more trouble than they are worth. That said I have never ridden a ski with one so what the hell do I know.

When it works, it's awesome. There are drawbacks though.

The system I put on my 550 back in 95/96 is still running apparently based on what the kid that bought it posted on pwctoday. That's an old analog system. I had problems with my single coil digital setup though so sold it for what I paid for it, $150.

crammit442

makin' legs
When it works, it's awesome. There are drawbacks though.

The system I put on my 550 back in 95/96 is still running apparently based on what the kid that bought it posted on pwctoday. That's an old analog system. I had problems with my single coil digital setup though so sold it for what I paid for it, $150.

The single channel system you had ran on my boat for a season and it's on it's second season in 2nd nature's ski. Never missed a beat. TL rules!:biggthumpup:

The 5mm X-Metal(team scream)stroker thats currently in my watercraftfactory hull was running perfect in fresh water but would barely run in the salt, I used Dielectric grease on the plug/msd coil connections. I hate MSD but your not going to land a flat-water backy without total loss. My beat-up surf ski that is MSD-less, never seems to ever have electrical issues. I'm sure both Chucky and Paul have some good remedies for salt issues.

crammit442

makin' legs
Ever ride salt water
Yup. So does Tricky. I don't think he really runs anything but TL. I had one very minor issue once where I missed a spot with grease, but got it fixed in a minute and have never had any trouble since. I actually think it's easier to maintain because although it gets wet, it also dries right out. If a stock box gets water in it, it can be a while before you find out. Often too late to really fix. It's also easier to trace a problem when you have one.

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
Yup. So does Tricky. I don't think he really runs anything but TL. I had one very minor issue once where I missed a spot with grease, but got it fixed in a minute and have never had any trouble since. I actually think it's easier to maintain because although it gets wet, it also dries right out. If a stock box gets water in it, it can be a while before you find out. Often too late to really fix. It's also easier to trace a problem when you have one.

Dont get me wrong, I am attempting T/L this year too, but I know there are more issues when running saltwater alot.

Dont get me wrong, I am attempting T/L this year too, but I know there are more issues when running saltwater alot.

You shouldn't have to worry about salt water in Nashville. If you are just going to make a few trips to the beach a year; wire it up right and use lots of grease on the connections and you should be fine. I just went to T/L a few months ago and I rode at Orange Beach a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues.

By the way I shipped your bolt today.

sjetrider

You shouldn't have to worry about salt water in Nashville. If you are just going to make a few trips to the beach a year; wire it up right and use lots of grease on the connections and you should be fine. I just went to T/L a few months ago and I rode at Orange Beach a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues.

By the way I shipped your bolt today.

Cool, I ride 4 or 5 times a year in salt water and dayum sure dont want issues while I am there, too much looking forward to it when I go so dont want anything taking away from my ride time while I am there ya know.

Thanks for getting that bolt out to me, I finally have my REV pole and want to get it mounted up this weekend hopefully.

GUMP

i rekon
Cool, I ride 4 or 5 times a year in salt water and dayum sure dont want issues while I am there, too much looking forward to it when I go so dont want anything taking away from my ride time while I am there ya know.

Thanks for getting that bolt out to me, I finally have my REV pole and want to get it mounted up this weekend hopefully.

ya...
i would love to have TL but sense i ride only salt and maybe 2 times fresh water a year ...
i wont do it

sjetrider

The 5mm X-Metal(team scream)stroker thats currently in my watercraftfactory hull was running perfect in fresh water but would barely run in the salt, I used Dielectric grease on the plug/msd coil connections. I hate MSD but your not going to land a flat-water backy without total loss. My beat-up surf ski that is MSD-less, never seems to ever have electrical issues. I'm sure both Chucky and Paul have some good remedies for salt issues.

Proof in the puddin boys.

Top Bottom