Can I save this cylinder?

Ducky

Back in the game!
The blaster project that I has either needs a new cylinder or needs the current cylinder fixed. Two exhaust bolts are broken into the cylinder. If I can fix it, I would rather go that route, but if it is not fixable, Ill be looking for a new cylinder or top end kit.

Top right bolt...pretty much flush with the mating surface.

Looks like someone already tried something with this bolt...I bought everything the way it is.

Go buy a set of easy-outs for like $20-30. Drill a hole into the stud and insert easy-out, then remove. It's pretty easy usually, might want to put some heat into it too.

Ducky

Back in the game!
Im definitely not against doing it myself, but I would rather not cause further damage and make it completely un-repairable since I have never used easy outs before.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
I can be some what easy if you know what your doing. If it was my first time, i wouldn't be trying it on a set of cylinders. If you do go for it, be sure to heat it up, and melt wax on to the broken bolt, wax will penetrate the threads and make it a lot easier to remove.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Looks like a good time to learn a very necessary skill for working on small engines then. Buy or borrow a decent set of easy outs and a good set of drill bits and take your time. Slow and steady and the right amount of heat are key. It's one of those things that after you do a couple, you'll wonder why you were ever afraid of it before.

The trickiest part for me is starting and then drilling a hole down the center of a stainless bolt while keeping the bit from walking sideways and getting into the aluminum. A center punch and steady hand is your friend for sure. I start very small and slowly work my way up as needed. I aim to drill out at least half the diameter of the bolt and start there. That way if I strip out too much and can't get my easy out to bite, I can drill to the next size and go again.

If you are lucky, the heat and vibration from drilling will break the bolt loose. Soak it with some form of penetrating oil before and during as the heat will work together with the oil.

I own several different types of easy outs and honestly, the cheapest set seems to work the most often.

I have great success with a set of these: ($15 at Advance auto)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0-w2966/9021329-P?searchTerm=screw+extractors

But these are good to have as well. ($12 at Advance Auto)
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...t-ac569/9021310-P?searchTerm=screw+extractors

I also have a set of Snap On extractors but find the above sets seem to work in more scenarios so this is one of those things that more expensive isn't always better.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=675457&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Ducky

Back in the game!
I agree with you Boyer, and it is something I would like to learn. I have drilled out screws/bolts and tapped holes, but never used easy outs. I will buy a set and test them out.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Drill it out a size bigger and timecert it. That is what the machine shop did to mine when I had broken bolts in that same spot.

Top Bottom