Blaster Cant decide on B1 prop, hooker 9/15 or 10/16?

I have been reading up on the hooker props and am looking to order one from jet maniac soon, but cant decide which pitch is best for me. I have been rebuilding my ski and am trying to set it up for a good all around ski. I ride lakes, rivers and streams, and will also ride surf. I am looking to improve performance and would like better low end for riding surf, but don't really want to lose top end for bombing and carving streams and rivers. So far, my 94 B1 61X engine is set up as follows:

-stock pistons and cylinder
-ADA Heads 35cc domes
-Lightened stock flywheel
-Carbon tech reeds
-Factory B limited pipe

I am rebuilding the entire ski and have been replacing just about everything with new as I go. I am getting to the drive system and am thinking of putting in an aluminum pump shoe, groovy ride plate, new intake grate, and prop. What are the performance differences between the Hooker 10/16 and 9/15 props? It seems the 9/15 is better low end, but do you lose much top end? Also, some places I read that the 10/16 may be a better all around prop, but not sure how the low end and top end are affected. If anyone has any input on these props or recommends a different prop I would appreciate any help I can get. Also, any recommendations on an intake grate for my setup?

Thanks

01SCSS

Mmmm....Bean Oil
My B1 is almost identical to yours and Dave at Impros recommended the 10/16 for the same type of riding. Bottom hook will be way better than stock, as far as top speed, it will be roughly the same. 9/15 might be a little to bottom end for lake riding where you might want to travel a little ways to your favorite riding area.

Nice, thanks for the input. The 10/16 is what I have been leaning towards. I do a bunch of lake riding and don't want to lose much top end, but definitely want to gain some low end pull. What are you running for an intake grate and ride plate?

01SCSS

Mmmm....Bean Oil
R&D intake grate, and watercross of Texas ride plate. 10/16 will yank hard down low for sure. Shouldn't lose much if any up top.

Cool, sounds like the 10/16 is going to be best for me. I have also read some things about bored out nozzles, are they more for bottom end or all around better flow and performance? It seemed most people who were getting them were mainly into surf and free riding.

I was taking apart my pump unit today and noticed a decent amount of corrosion on the vanes of my stock pump housing. I started looking at the skat trak mag pumps. If I decided to spend the money on a mag pump, would it still be a good idea to run a hooker 10/16 or would it be better to run a skat trak impeller? And what would be a comparable skat trak pitch? Its more than I want to spend, but if I convince myself its a good idea, I want to make sure I set it up right.

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
I would suggest the solas mag pump $500 with a hooker 10/16... That's the best bang for the buck!

Either way the 9/15 is to small...

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
I would suggest the solas mag pump $500 with a hooker 10/16... That's the best bang for the buck!

Either way the 9/15 is to small...

^^ X2
If you are an all around leisure rider that just wants you ski to perform well everywhere than the Solas mag is a much better choice. You would use your OEM driveshaft and still have the hookup and performance of a mag without paying the huge money for a setback skat mag pump.

Ya Im thinking of going with the Solas Mag and a 10/16 Hooker. Its heavier than the Skat Trak Mag, but definitely a little closer to my price range and a lot better than oem. And if I need to replace my stock one anyway, I might as well step it up a notch. Jetmaniac said he has a shipment of Solas Mags coming in soon (within a month) so I'll probably wait for that. Thanks for the info guys. Also, is anyone running a bored out nozzle? Im wondering how much of a difference they make over stock.

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
I just bought 2 Hooker 10/16s and I plan on buying the Solas mag for at least 1 ski so I will be in the same boat and can let you know how I like that setup

Edit: nickf74 I PMed you about your setup

Last edited:
Top Bottom