Super Jet Can't seem to figure out what is wrong with this superjet (WITH VIDEO)

This is my buddys ski, not Mine. The ski used to run like a champ. Babyscream engine. 2nd time bored out since the original build. It ran amazing up until the first 10 min we were in Daytona. For the previous 5 days before, we rode the Gulf and the ski ran top notch. Not even a hiccup. We drove to Daytona from Venice FL. By the time we got to Daytona to head out into some surf, His ski would not rev out or do anything much besides bog and misfire, or so it seemed. He ended up switching out the coil, start stop switch, flywheel, and Cdi for almost all new/refurb parts. It ran for about 15-20 min awesome, then it pooped out on him again. Everything has been taken apart to dry out and put back together. Now it runs, everything is dry as can be yet it still revs up kinda slow and seems almost powerless.

Engine mods:

Xscream 701
dual stock 38s
b pipe
ada head
ATP Waterbox

What was replaced in Daytona:

MSD enhancer switched out for a new Purple RIVA Cdi
Coil was switched out for a new JSS coil
Flywheel was switched out for #0 Flywheel
Stator was swapped for a Jetmaniac Stator
Start stop switch was swapped out

Heres some video that may help a little.

Revving the ski out a little more to hear it break up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Instantly there is issues.. It has not ran good yet since before Daytona. It just revs up slow it seems compared to my ski. And it just seems like its missing and not all there. I have not ridden the ski so I cant tell you how it feels. I just know it does not sound as bad as it rides in the water. I have never tested it but from what I have heard.

Last edited:

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
Have you checked the fuel filter in the carbs? or maybe bad needle/seat? If you have replaced all your electronics with proven working parts must be in the carbs, or its your pulse line?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
have you checked compression?
Have you tried new Spark Plugs?

Does it have an MSD enhancer? Almost sounds like the limiter is turned way down.

Last edited:

cattledog

EH TEAM RACING
i actually had this problem once i put in a pro tec modified cdi with the little rev limiter adjustment screw built into the cdi and the screw just keep turnining and truning no stopping either direction put in another cdi and it solved the problem, and like somebody else said , was the stator good i would first check the readings from the factory manaul on the stator, i have a spare stator and stock cdi you guys can borrow to see if that is the problem can bring it to wavedaze for you guys, not sure if that ski is going there but at least you can try it without spending any more money

Sure sounds like a faulty stator to me... You sure the replaced stator was good?
Im not sure. I know it looked mint before he put it in. He bought it In Daytona from Jetmaniac so I would assume its a good one

Have you chacked the crank seal?
I am not sure If he did or not.

have you checked compression?
Have you tried new Spark Plugs?

Does it have an MSD enhancer? Almost sounds like the limiter is turned way down.
Plugs was the first thing changed in daytona, Compression was WAY up there.

He had an MSD and it seemed like it was crapped out so he bought a Riva Purple Enhancer in Daytona

i actually had this problem once i put in a pro tec modified cdi with the little rev limiter adjustment screw built into the cdi and the screw just keep turnining and truning no stopping either direction put in another cdi and it solved the problem, and like somebody else said , was the stator good i would first check the readings from the factory manaul on the stator, i have a spare stator and stock cdi you guys can borrow to see if that is the problem can bring it to wavedaze for you guys, not sure if that ski is going there but at least you can try it without spending any more money

See it sounds like my ski used to. After getting all new electronics my ski runs mint (crosses fingers for this weekend) and as for Justin and his ski, I am not sure if he is going now since his ski is not running mint. I think he is sick of wrenching. (This ski was red with a black hood in daytona)

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Stick a OEM CDI in there and test. It should rev clear until you hit the limited. Rev it slow, out of water you hit the limiter really fast. Or do short quick blips of the throttle.

Last edited:

cattledog

EH TEAM RACING
yes i remember that poor guy was going nuts, well the offer is still open i can bring the parts for him to try back in buffalo and when i see you guys in the early summer or at crystal beach i can get them back, do you guys have a shop manual, its easy with a multi meter to check the stator but sometimes its best just to swap out with a good working one

Big Kahuna

Administrator
in the 2nd video, I did some full throttle holds. you can hear it break up. there long blips.

and mario ill talk to justin asap. IDk what he wants to do.

If you went Full Throttle and it was breaking up, you were hitting the rev limiter. Have you actually put it back in the water??

It has not been dipped in the water yet... but you can tell on the stand that she is not going to run well in water. It revs up slow like a 550 at times. When I compare it to my ski it is night and day. it just seems powerless. Like it seems like it runs fine almost out of water but we both know that as soon as it hits the water its going to be a dog underload.

complete stab in the dark since I have no speakers here at work, so I was just watching the exhaust puffs...but, could it be as simple as busted reeds?

Top Bottom