Can't seem to get the hang of the Superjet!

If you've spent much time riding motorcycles its even harder to learn how to corner a standup than starting from scratch. I find it really hard after riding my r1. on a bike you lean in but steer out, on the ski you have to keep the bars turned in to the turn or it will just straighten up and you fall in the water feeling confused. Theres no gyroscopic precession to use in the corner on a ski, its all power and where the jet is pointing.

If you've spent much time riding motorcycles its even harder to learn how to corner a standup than starting from scratch. I find it really hard after riding my r1. on a bike you lean in but steer out, on the ski you have to keep the bars turned in to the turn or it will just straighten up and you fall in the water feeling confused. Theres no gyroscopic precession to use in the corner on a ski, its all power and where the jet is pointing.
Funny you should say that, as I do ride bikes and that makes some sense!

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Make up some bouys out of jugs with string and some bricks. Go Toss them in the lake. Use at least 3 and place them in a stair step pattern. As you approach the first bouy start your turn. Then immediately start looking at the next on. As you start your turn on the second bouy, start looking for the third.. You are training your eyes and your body to work together without having to think about the actual movements of the turn. When you are out riding and just want to slam a turn. If you do not have a focal point it is much harder. Even a leaf in the water can give you something to focus on. Otherwise you do not have anything to reference your turn by.

I am a similar size. I have an 02 SJ with stock pole. Just rode a similar ski with a substantially shorter pole maybe 4 inches (need to measure). I was surprised at how much it was easier to ride and corner by getting my weight more forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got a stock SJ a few weeks ago to mess with. SJ is a fun ride when you lean it over and turns ok. You can pull off some full throttle turns with it and it hooks ok with the stock IG.

Attachments

• IMG_5318.JPG
    IMG_5318.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5351.JPG
    IMG_5351.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 32
You may want to check your steering cable position on the turn plate too. I rode a newer sj last summer (wasn't mine) and the cable end was on one of the closer positions to the pivot bolt limiting how far the nozzle would turn. It made taking corners really awkward. Moving it out a position or two would let the ski turn sharper.

Make up some bouys out of jugs with string and some bricks. Go Toss them in the lake. Use at least 3 and place them in a stair step pattern. As you approach the first bouy start your turn. Then immediately start looking at the next on. As you start your turn on the second bouy, start looking for the third.. You are training your eyes and your body to work together without having to think about the actual movements of the turn. When you are out riding and just want to slam a turn. If you do not have a focal point it is much harder. Even a leaf in the water can give you something to focus on. Otherwise you do not have anything to reference your turn by.
Thats what I did, just with 2 floating rafts, you'll get the hang of it, and like others have said "don't go wide open,just past plane"
Cheers Ray

You're preaching to the choir on that one. I think initially it was way harder than starting from scratch because I tried to carry over all of the MX habits. Even with counter steering aside, it is still entirely different.

I started on a 550SX and I was leaning too much to the inside early on, and tipping the pump out of the water, and then it falls over at the loss of power.

I'm by no means good at fast turns yet, but I am starting to get the hang of them! Moving to an SJ was such a difference, it rides on rails like nothing else. I think it may be easier than the 550, but maybe that's because I already started to get the feel. The skis are both so different in so many ways.

The first time I rode the SJ I cranked it hard under power and it threw me right off the outside like a bucking bronco. That's how I learned how well it hooks up.

I agree with the other comments, maybe trying to ride super slow in a straight line, then turning might help get the feel for leaning and saving it from tipping over. Practice, practice, practice!

Dedinitely get the hang if slow and mid paced steering before going all out. As you approach the turn let off for a split second to drop the nose and in one move turn the bars and push the pole into the hood, lean with your toes and shift your torso over the side and then get back on the throttle, you want to be smooth with reapplying the power not a chop to wide open. Put your weight over the hood as you leave the turn to keep it hooked. In general keep your weight as low as possible

Circles and figure 8s are great practice especially as you have to work with the chop as you keep up the momentum.

Also the stock steering isn't so good, sealed bearing systems are much more controllable and you can adjust the system to your preference. You want the most throw with the least amount of turning the bars

Last edited:
Top Bottom