Super Jet carbon fiber wrap on superjet hood

swapmeet

Brotastic
3M has some impressive stuff that i've seen at the SEMA show. But it doesn't look like its cleared, just the raw fiber. Hard to explain but impressive.

I agree though. The real thing or nothing at all IMO.

TOMtoledo

Tommy Meyers
Nice ski there in your avatar Tom :wink: Thats a awesome paint job too if I dont say so myself! :wink:[/QUOTE]
thanks ya i just picked the ski up a month ago, is was a good sellin point for me

A UV clear is absolutely needed! Carbon fiber is very sun sensitive and will get brittle and discolored over time. Resin will yellow over time without the UV. If you take the time to wrap it you want it to look good for awhile right..? Dont worry about the spray gun.... just run to kragens and get some rattle can clear coat that has UV in it.... The pic i posted up above is all done with a rattle can clear! I'm repainting my ski now so I will go back over with a clear from a gun but if you prep the surface and lay it on thick the rattle can will be good...NO RUBBING COMPOUND on the epoxy! It gets stuck in all the tiny lil air bubble pockets that you cant see until you smear the compound on and its a bitch to get out before clear....! Just fine sand the epoxy and clear the $hit outta it.... It will look all cloudy after the sanding but wipe it down with some acetone and the clear will make it nice and crispy!

Good to know, i didnt think the rattle can clear could give the clear glass like finish. Can you wet sand the clear coat afterward or do you even need to? Ive heard rattle cans cant be wet sanded. Also with the clear do you spray it on very light or thick? When i rattle canned my 550 i sprayed it on fairly thin at first and it felt like sand paper so i tried it think and it self leveled a bit and god fairly smooth

DK-Freestyle

2011 World Champion
Those wraps never look right IMO. I wanted to do something similar to this for cosmetic reasons on my hull but decided it wasn't worth the effort. I've wrapped my pole, and learned a lot the hard way on that.

Keep us updated with your progress.

If you get the right material, it'll look right. I do graphic kits and wraps as a side job, and recently ordered some Carbon Fiber wrapping cast. Tested it out on my chin pad (attached), and the finish looks just like the carbon fiber from my hull, if not better. I have some other carbon fiber vinyl, but it looks like junk. You've just got to find the right stuff.

Attachments

• 195946_202907483070777_100000545811518_690967_4346340_n.jpg
    195946_202907483070777_100000545811518_690967_4346340_n.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 79
Good to know, i didnt think the rattle can clear could give the clear glass like finish. Can you wet sand the clear coat afterward or do you even need to? Ive heard rattle cans cant be wet sanded. Also with the clear do you spray it on very light or thick? When i rattle canned my 550 i sprayed it on fairly thin at first and it felt like sand paper so i tried it think and it self leveled a bit and god fairly smooth

U-POL uv clear part# UPO796, works really well, sandable, and comes in a spray can, most auto paint stores should have it. Just got done doing a carbon wrap on my hood using this to finish it. It took alot of sanding to get everything level and liquid smooth on the hood. If I do a hood again I will just mix and shoot, but for small parts and those with out the option it works great! Finish sanding and buffing tonight.

the carbon fiber wrap is just for cosmetic purposes, since the paint on my hood was peeling off i decided to just strip all the paint off the hood. i might go with the carbon fiber graphics instead of using actual carbon fiber. i just don't have that much time and if i don't like it i can just peal it off. dkfreestyle can i ask where you got your carbon fiber graphics?

Top Bottom