Caulking Turf Seems?

I was thinking of running a bead of black caulk around my tray where the turf edges meet. Anyone else done this? Seems like it would keep sand out and maybe keep the edges down. Also up in the footholds where the seems are, if they were caulked maybe they wouldnt catch the shoes and peel back. I know some people use super glue but that crap gets sharp.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
where your turf stops and meets the hull (Tops of sides), you can put a bead right there and it will help keep the turf from getting pealed up by the water. Also do that at the turf where it meets the hull if you do the rails.

I was thinking just black silicone. basically to taper the edge so water, feet, whatever has less of an edge to catch on. Since 5200 is permanent wouldnt that be shooting myself in the foot when I need to returf?

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I used some roofing/shingle sealant type caulk. It workrd great. Its very sun/weather resistant and is paintable as well. its held up all last season with no turf pullup.

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
Whatever you use, make sure it is soft like silicone. A friend of mine has an SJ with some kind of black sealant on the turf seams and it is hard and nasty.

I've been wondering about this too, in particular when turfing rails, the edge where the turf meets the vertical side of the hull. That transition seems rounded. So what's everyone doing there? Does the turf butt up well enough or is there always a gap that needs sealant?

KaosFreestyle

White on White
You most likely can not see it but I used a clear calk to hold on the hood pads for my 650sx
jetski008.jpg

If you look at the edges in this picture you see the residue left behind on the paint. So I would suggest taping off the paintwork to prevent that from happening.
jetski005.jpg

dirtnut99

Yardsale Master
I'd use black 3M 5200 or Permatex ultra black rubberized silicone.

I used 5200 on my SJL sponsons.. I have to paint the missind spots after every ride.. Maybe I cannot prep well or its not as strong as I have been told.. I also used it on the edges of my rails where I messed up a bit on the cutting and its gone... Not impressed with it for the price... I am going to use the rest of my last tube on my turf to rail seams in the back tomorrow though... just to hide them....

Top Bottom