Surfriding CDI Question

ANT

Just ride
Site Supporter
What is everyone using for a CDI nowadays on yamaha based setups?

We're talking on a motor with bolt ons (nothing crazy with aftermarket motors/cylinders etc) mainly on a reasonably built motor for surf.

I've only ever run an MSD enhancer, and they have always worked well. Jist curious what else is out there that lasts like them, is basic bolt on and go, and something thats no frills that just works good?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Been running a Zeel for the past 3 months, so far so good I like it.
This^^^

Everything you could ever want to know about it here:

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I would go MSD enhancer, Zeel or stock, anything else seems like a liability. I have seen some chatter about dead zeel units but same goes for MSD.
I have been using the original 64x zeel unit since they where released (3-4 years now?).
If you are looking for reliability, OEM hands down, if you are looking for a bit of extra power, zeel. MSD falls somewhere in between.

ANT

Just ride
Site Supporter
Thanks guys. The MSD has always worked good for me. I've only ever had one go bad in the past 20 years or so.

I just figured by now (in regard to plug and play) that there would be something else out by now.

I saw the link to the post about the zeel, and that fact that its been covered before...I'm just not into skimming 1580 posts over 5 years to find out about it, nor do I want to program anything at this point. I like to just ride it and not mess with it...I like to live in that in between world with my setup where you get performance, but not so much that I can't just hit the start button and go when I want to ride.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Thanks guys. The MSD has always worked good for me. I've only ever had one go bad in the past 20 years or so.

I just figured by now (in regard to plug and play) that there would be something else out by now.

I saw the link to the post about the zeel, and that fact that its been covered before...I'm just not into skimming 1580 posts over 5 years to find out about it, nor do I want to program anything at this point. I like to just ride it and not mess with it...I like to live in that in between world with my setup where you get performance, but not so much that I can't just hit the start button and go when I want to ride.
The option to tweak on it yourself is there but honestly you just buy one from a reputable dealer with a pre-set curve, plug it in and ride, same as MSD (but with a more desirable curve). The short answer is, a better curve map and more powerfull spark than MSD, plug and play. I'd contact Paul Lehr.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I would go MSD enhancer, Zeel or stock, anything else seems like a liability. I have seen some chatter about dead zeel units but same goes for MSD.
I have been using the original 64x zeel unit since they where released (3-4 years now?).
If you are looking for reliability, OEM hands down, if you are looking for a bit of extra power, zeel. MSD falls somewhere in between.
I am running an old Advent with zero issues!!!!!! But agree with you!

I am running an old Advent with zero issues!!!!!! But agree with you!
Awesome. I had one of the first 62t Advents from Bob in late 01’ Never had an issue. Sold it when I ran to the SXR’s in 04’. Never should have! Last I heard it was still goin.

I’ve heard mixed on newer MSD’s and even 62t zeel

I run OEM in my Lites and My Spec Blaster (rev limit mod)

Sparkplug

Site Supporter
I was hating on the 62tzeel for a while. I think alot of my issue ended up being bendix/starter issues coupled with bad grounds/wires.

Mine has been solid this past season after fixing all aforementioned issues. It most definitely has a hotter spark. I can't fully recommend it over OEM yet, but when I said before I wouldn't buy it again, I have since changed my mind.

Never had the pleasure of trying a zeel. But all of my stock or msd's stay working....as long as the ebox stays dry. Proper torque order is everything on those 168 stupid screws

Top Bottom