Cerakote an ebox backing plate?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Looks like testing on this will have to be "real world". I pulled my ebox today and found the back plate severely corroded and the seal compromised.

I picked up the Cerekoted back plate earlier today so it looks like I will be throwing it right into my ski.

I'm going to do some bartering with the guy so I am going to have a couple more done up next week.

Maybe I should hold out and have him do me one in a gloss red....

4af083638ceede13a0924935540b53dc.jpg

daff8919a0ee3736f3110b94b7b1bdcb.jpg

OCD Solutions

Well here is a quick update on this project. Probably not worth posting other than to chronicle the testing process. :)

ScottS was kind enough to play along and hang one of these units off his inter-coastal dock so it would be exposed to salt water and air intermittently with the tide.

This is after one week of exposure. No visible signs of corrosion on the coated areas or the raw areas either. There are a few barnacles starting to attach in the coated areas but they wiped right off.

115adfdb3f276b8467882f293c306455.jpg
06402ecd3ff1da7c993700e925296281.jpg

Maybe aluminum should be bead blasted if corroded, treated with alumaprep (now Henkell) phosphoric acid, then alodine conversion coating- because alu. oxidizes immediately. Then it's ready for painting.

OCD Solutions

Yeah, I'm not 100% on the prep required before Cerakote but I know it was media blasted, coated and then set to bake within a 15 minute window.

This unit had quite a bit of surface corrosion before so I can't help but wonder how that affects the outcome. Does media blasting remove all the prior corrosion or is there always a bit left and it just grows under whatever coating you apply.?.?.?

I had a couple others done at the same time so we have yet to see how it stands up in an actual ski. I think you could go through all the steps that Fred mentioned and be much further ahead $$ wise so I am calling this little project a bust. Mostly because it's just so much more expensive than all the other options.

Last edited:
You could try gunkote from kg coatings. Also, there is a liquid called k-phos from kg as well. It's a phosphoric acid treatment that can be used on carbon steel, stainless and aluminum. This is the system I use on all my coated guns and it's tough. It's always an argument which is tougher, gunkote or cerakote. Gunkote is a stir, spray, bake at 375 for an hour and its done. Not nearly expensive as cerakote. That's why I use it. It works for me and is cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom