Ceramic Coating Pipe?

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
Well I do powdercoating... As for the ceramic coating, yes i understand you can do it at lower temperatures... just saying it does not take more than 500*. Depends on what type of ceramic clusters are used (and the material type i guess)

But yea, no more than 500* which is certainly not enough to damage cast parts.

Edit... Also the vibrator is not to polish it out, but to pound the ceramic into the porous surface of the metal, which is why it never comes out. Its an amazing bond.

Last edited:

QuickMick

API 1104 AWS CWI
Site Supporter
Well I do powdercoating... As for the ceramic coating, yes i understand you can do it at lower temperatures... just saying it does not take more than 500*. Depends on what type of ceramic clusters are used (and the material type i guess)

But yea, no more than 500* which is certainly not enough to damage cast parts.

read pervious post. I talked to the guy that coated my pipe.

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
the water screws work just fine - i took them out before having it coated and replaced with brand new ones.

i have yet to break anything... that being said, there is next to no ride time on any of this stuff, and this is the first batch I have ever done (jetski related anyway).

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
So coating the pipe will maintain the heat better, so can i close the water screws more (until the watter sizzels) or just keep the screws where they were with the stock chamber, im thinking you should be able to get some pretty good gains

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
Close'm till it sizzles baby! I'll be doing this to mine soon. I have my bottom and middle screw closed and top open 1/2 and I got no sizzle action....

Then again I think my compression may be a bit low now... Think I'm down to 150 or so.

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
Close'm till it sizzles baby! I'll be doing this to mine soon. I have my bottom and middle screw closed and top open 1/2 and I got no sizzle action....
QUOTE]

did you notice more power?

at the least it will make the chamber last longer i would guess...?

I took my chamber in yesterday...120 a little more then 35 i get they quoted me to power coat
something i never thought of it will stand up in the surf better vs. the salt

Last edited:

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.
wow, thats a lot. I wonder if thats because you brought it in dirty and not sandblasted?

i need to call my place and see how much he charges... I still want to do this.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Just got mine back last night.

Cost me $175 plus shipping to do all 3 pieces. I used Airborne Coatings in Denver, North Carolina.

http://www.jetcoat.com/ Call and ask for Jay Barry.

Attachments

• 100_3409.JPG
    100_3409.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_3412.JPG
    100_3412.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_3413.JPG
    100_3413.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_3414.JPG
    100_3414.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_3415.JPG
    100_3415.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_3417.JPG
    100_3417.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_3421.JPG
    100_3421.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_3427.JPG
    100_3427.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 100_3431.JPG
    100_3431.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_3434.JPG
    100_3434.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

munki63

Epoxy is my duct tape
That's a great price! I just got the chamber done for 170 here in town
even if it doesn't help preform it sure looks sexy!!

Ceramic coatings are great.We use to coat our turbo hot side and headers,kept alot of heat from under the hood. You still cant run your pipe but so much dryer because although its not as hot on the outside its even hotter on the inside because the heat is not dissipating as fast as it becomes heat soaked.Id guess in summer rides that this may help with hp to lower internal temps seen by the intake,leaving me wondering if it wouldnt be a good idea to do the cylinder and waterbox also. The water cooling system would have to remove all the heat.If you sand your headpipe smoother with a wiz wheel before its coated it will look chrome plated like the chamber. I think it would be nice to have a pole done as well at lower temps for longer bake times.this crap powder coating fails on x metal poles in no time.

Last edited:
i do powder coating as well and i like the color options with powder and if done right and preped well it will last

Attachments

• ski rework 014.jpg
    ski rework 014.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 93
  • ski rework 013.jpg
    ski rework 013.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 77
  • ski rework 008.jpg
    ski rework 008.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 83
I disagree,it will start to peel somewhere if used in the salt all the time.brand new parts that are powder coated flake off eventually,ceramic is pretty much permanent

OCD Solutions

I'm with MB, The pipe I just had done was less than a year old and the chamber was already looking horrible and the powdercoat was flaking off the headpipe. I have never been a fan of powdercoat and would gladly pay extra for a finish that won't flake especially if it also comes with added corrosion protection and thermal properties. The fact it looks stunning too is just icing on the cake.

It makes you wonder why factory pipe didnt do this stock,as much money as they charge for these old azz things they should be gold plated

Has anyone ever ceramic coated a pole?

OCD Solutions

I'd like to see that too, I was going to send my rrp tubes at the same time as my pipe but went a different direction instead.

wow, thats a lot. I wonder if thats because you brought it in dirty and not sandblasted?

i need to call my place and see how much he charges... I still want to do this.

ceramic coaters usually media blast then thermal degrease the parts, surely that would have been included in the quote anyways.

ceramic coatings are also avalible in a few different colours (red, black and blue) but tey dont handle as high heat temps.

i know of drag car builder who ceramic coat everyting, diffs, leaf springs,sump pans and piston skirts/crowns.
so coating poles handlebars etc could probably be done. its a great finish!

OCD Solutions

I wanted to do my pipe in the black but I was told it wasn't near as durable. :(

Top Bottom