Choke vs Primer

I have a 96 SJ that has the choke cable unhooked and the previous owner started putting in a primer kit.

1. Is it worth switching to a primer system

2. What is the best way to install the primer on the stock carb?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Loose the choke. Install a Primer. Remove choke plate, install primer fittings that are included with a dual carb choke kit. Plumb up the primer lines.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
Once you remove the choke you will have 2 holes in the sides of each carb about 1/4" in diameter. Plug 1 hole with the pres in block off and the other with the primer nipple for 1/8" line. repeat for each carb. Its very simple. You can pull the fuel from the reserve line, incoming fuel line, or the return line. Each have there pro and cons. I dont run a reserve fuel line and dedicated that pickup in as the primer.

Once you remove the choke you will have 2 holes in the sides of each carb about 1/4" in diameter. Plug 1 hole with the pres in block off and the other with the primer nipple for 1/8" line. repeat for each carb. Its very simple. You can pull the fuel from the reserve line, incoming fuel line, or the return line. Each have there pro and cons. I dont run a reserve fuel line and dedicated that pickup in as the primer.
care to go into details on the cons of each hook up location? I run mine on reserve but getting a cart tank with only 2 hook ups plus the breather.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
If you cannot dedicate a line for the primer straight from the tank most guys use the return line from the carbs. The problem with the return line is you may not have fuel in the line. To help combat that issue I ran an extra-long line and made a large “U” shape and put the T fitting at the bottom.

Primers blub’s and plungers don’t seem to hold up as long as they use to. If you have your incoming line tapped and your primer fails your fuel pumps could draw air into the line and create a running lean condition.

If I couldn’t add another pickup to the tank I would not hesitate to tie my 2 incoming lines into 1 and free up one of the lines to dedicate to the primer. I don’t know the advantage of having a dedicated line to each carb but that’s what everyone seems to do these days. One of the largest if not the largest PWC the “Yamaha SUV” is engineered to feed its 1200cc motor and triple carbs off a single tank pickup going WOT for hours on end with 3 “American sized” humans onboard and it’s just fine. Freeride ski’s should not have an issue with fuel flow. Then again I just have a little baby weak running low compression 964 so my opinion is not valid

4 pumps on my primer and its starts up the machine instantly even when its been standing still for 3 weeks. before it would cough and splutter for ever before starting.

The only reason you should ever need a primer is to help out with wet and cold starts. The ski should be tuned to where you shouldn't ever need to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom