Other Choppin and Rockin

Half flip95

Formerly pondracer95
Choppin and Rockin - as in choppin the rear and rockerin the nose...

Never ridden one with either mod.
Not about to chop up any of my skis regardless of what anyone tells me.
But I am curious...

How does it make them handle? around the buoys? on a glassy river? in the ocean?
... compared to a unmodified superjet hull

djraider700

lol wut?
I've ridden a rocker'd, non-chopped SJ and it pretty much handled like normal on the flat stuff. Once in the surf, the rocker is very welcome modification.

I haven't ridden a shortened SJ but I'd imagine that would have more of an effect on the handling than a rocker would.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
IMO adding rocker to the nose, turning it up is a bad idea. It tends to make the nose of the ski plow into wakes more than slip up them. The stock sj nose is actually pretty sweet. Add some Blowsion Destroyers, or something close and the nose is going to work awesome in many ways. These thoughts are for flatwater. Surf guys chime in.

Shortening a stock length hull can have a weird effect. Mainly porpoising. So when you are trying to go fast to chase a boat wake, or just rip it across some flat water, they tend to porpoise a bit. I took 5" off the back of my old RN. It helped in a lot of ways, but kinda sucked at chasing boats. But! I wish I could have tried messing with the ride plate more while I had it. I'd like to try a longer ride plate. Mainly just under the nozzle itself, like the current long plate on my BG3.

But it turned so fast. Spun easy and was much easier to flip. Still a heavy hull, but was so much fun to ride. Just wasn't a boat chaser. But had I spent time tuning a ride plate, it might have had a nice balance.
https://vimeo.com/58426007

Im 250lbs and I chopped my SN SJ to the rear plate bolts (about 2'') and I love it. I installed tubbies 2s at the same time so I havent ridden it with one or the other. I ride 50/50 surf and flat water. I don't notice any ill effects on either. Still running stock length plate. I am looking for another plate to cut to the length of the hull.

Thanks man. Starting on a blaster build. After the SN i said i would never build another ski. Well it didnt last long. This is an addiction.

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
NVJAY775 that SJ is very Sano, I have a pic of it in my phone from somewhere. Love the clean look of it man, I'd miss it too if I were you. Your Freak was killer too, you have good taste

if you ride skis to just to goof around its great in all regards. if you want to carve buoys and do a lot of high speed runs its not worth it.
For surf its great in almost all regards to me here on the east coast where waves are typically small and you arent doing much high speed anything like you might do on a lake.
On the west coast chopping and rocking is not a necessity at all bc they consistently get waves big enough to do almost anything with a stock ski. you can ride deep into waves and come out of them steep without plunging the nose as bad as here (FL). But a chopped and rocked hull will allow you to do many maneuvers that a stock hull would never do and it gives people a much greater confidence in trying new aerials and ride deeper in the waves with less pearling into the ocean floor. the list is nearly endless to how much more fun a reshaped ski is compared to a stock hull which was designed and basically unchanged since 1990!!!!

also its real important the rider takes into consideration their height and weight. heavy guys obviously will have a harder time keeping the nose down so shouldnt be wacking a lot of length off the rear and lighter guys can get away with taking off quite a bit. Tall guys can easily shift a lot of their body weight forward over the ski and can make a real short ski plane out better than a short guy who cant shift his weight much. The shorter you make your ski the shorter your pole HAS to go or you wont have the room to shift your weight forward when needed. AND for porpoising thats about 80% rider input to control, not your hull shape so much (talking superjets, not wacky BOB-like hulls or bad rocker jobs that are super steep)

djraider700

lol wut?
On the west coast chopping and rocking is not a necessity at all bc they consistently get waves big enough to do almost anything with a stock ski.

Always wondered how "different" the waves were between the east and west coasts.

I'm looking to rocker my ski in the next few weeks with CarterB's kit. After riding skis with lots of rocker , I know I will benefit a lot from it in the surf.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
If you only shorten the bottom deck you really don't get much negative effect on handling. Mine was -4" with a flush cut plate and I could ride wide open without problems but had greater control over the angle of the ski and quicker turning. Some people might have a little harder time adapting to it but once you do you wont go back to a full length hull. I didn't really have to hard of a time riding a G1 BOB either though and was able to get it on plane pretty easily.

ya rider skill is key. people hate to believe they are under-par but its usually the case and thats why stand ups are fun for so many years with endless rider progression :)

I watched ZB ride a BOB for his first time and he shredded it like was his own ski even deep into the wave and revoering from landings etc! Made it look way better than i ever perceived it, yet if some one else was newb'ing around on it in surf and couldnt perform well others would likely just think the hull must be the problem.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I think a BOB would be fun in small, east coast surf. They turn quick and stay hooked, not easy to slide the face but could probably toss some cool, shortboard style cutbacks.

Top Bottom