Super Jet Chris in New Smyrna - Blue 1990 Square Nose... anyone know the guy?

retroicon

XX-xx-XX-xx-XX
Hey guys,

A friend of mine is considering purchasing a ski on craigslist tomorrow morning...

The listing is from a guy named Chris in NSB. I can't remember seeing the machine at any of
the freerides, but I'd have to guess someone on here knows the guy.

http://daytona.craigslist.org/boa/3725817367.html

That's the listing. Anyone know the guy, or what condition his stuff is typically in?

It looks kind of pieced together to me, but maybe it's just the pics.

Thanks,
-G

Byeai

"Cheetos-Man"
Supposedly the ski is near me and the guy works at tires plus in Rockledge fl I haven't seen it but my friend said he was selling this ski

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I'm no expert but the cylinder is bored to 85mm. Considering stock is 81mm i would ask some questions on why its bored out so much.. Make sure that crank isn't causing some top end issues...

771 is a big bore maybe the stock head is milled and it has BB sleaves? I dunno... I would ask about that motor though and look for some markings for a company that did the work...

Last edited:

retroicon

XX-xx-XX-xx-XX
I'm with you guys for sure... that's why I'm asking if anyone actually knows the guy.

To me, it looks like someone picked through their spare parts to put something together. Why is there a stock head on a machine with an 85mm bore? Has anyone even heard of machining a stock head to run on something with a bore that big?

No mention of whether it's been bored on stock sleeves to 85, or re-sleeved... 85 on stock sleeves, is that even possible?

And wouldn't you at least want to run a girdled head on a top end with a bore that big? I just can't imagine going lightened flywheel, big bore, and keeping the stock head.

It's running the stock flame arrestor, which isn't odd if you're doing freeride, but no mention of scuppers, and no holes in the hull I can see anywhere for bilge pumps? You don't typically run the stock flame arrestor on a non-freeride machine, and if you were doing freeride you'd have at least a bilge or scuppers on a hull that old... someone would have cut the holes over the past 23 years. (holy crap, 23 years!!!)

So far, no one knows the guy for sure though. And no one knows this actual machine.

I can't go look with him, but my thoughts on this as of now are to stay far, far away unless someone knows something I don't.

The biggest red flag to me is the head. 85mm bore on stock sleeves, with a stock head? I've never seen that before regardless of the sleeves, and I can't imagine it being safe on stock sleeves at all.

Also, no mention of an enhancer or CDI mod? Nothing on the prop, plate, or grate either? You'd think he'd have mentioned something about those after being so specific about having Wiesco forged pistons, and a coffman's pipe.

-G

that could very well be a groupk motor, they re-cut the stock head. which is not on backwards as mentioned above, it looks like a 62T head so i would verify that it is infact a 61x cyl, the cooling looks questionable but cant tell...it looks like it was built on a thin budget, paint looks from a can in the one pic. you should look at it, do your basic walk thru, compression, listen to every thing spin, ask alot of questions and see how knowledgeable he is. also if you ride any surf the oem flame arrestor is almost a must.. the worst you can do is walk away if it seems abused. just because its at 85m over bore doesnt mean he had to.

Last edited:
that could very well be a groupk motor, they re-cut the stock head. which is not on backwards as mentioned above, it looks like a 62T head so i would verify that it is infact a 61x cyl, the cooling looks questionable but cant tell...it looks like it was built on a thin budget, paint looks from a can in the one pic. you should look at it, do your basic walk thru, compression, listen to every thing spin, ask alot of questions and see how knowledgeable he is. also if you ride any surf the oem flame arrestor is almost a must.. the worst you can do is walk away if it seems abused. just because its at 85m over bore doesnt mean he had to.

im not sure what group k does to there head other then re cut domes. looks like it is on backwards to me

3E83Kf3M15L45I35Mfd453d6c718e245815c6.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure prices for Superjets in Florida are much higher than they are here in Utah, but I see skis similar to this set-up and year for $800-$1100. Just a little feedback.

I don't think the head is on backwards if you spun it around the stock exhaust mounts would be on the intake side, is it some other head 62T 64U X?

guess thats a 760 head or something similar. idk i dont deal with stock heads often.
deff not a x head or t head ive seen

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
My point as well, and I pointed out to you that it's quite possible to "bolt the exhaust bracket up like that" once you leave the SJ box of thinking. :)

retroicon

XX-xx-XX-xx-XX
Alright... so it could the cylinders and head from a 760 which would make an 85mm bore more reasonable, and make machining the stock head make more sense. And 85mm bore on 760 cases is only 1mm over the stock 84mm pistons.

So it looks like the consensus is...

If the seller knows that it was a 760 originally, bored one over, or a 701 with a re-sleeve, using a 760 head, it's not going to have paper thing cylinder walls like you'd end up with on a 701 bored out to 85 with the stock sleeves.

The machine isn't for me, a buddy of mine asked me about is because his son is considering buying it. I can't go out to look at it with him and run through everything in terms of what the guys knows, how it sounds, etc. If I was going out I'd know what to look for, he won't know what to look for, and what to ask.

But again, no one knows this guy, or this machine specifically... right?

-G

Top Bottom