Clear Coating over Vinyl Graphics...?

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
I am going to repaint my hull this winter...again.

But I want to throw on a vinyl graphics kit that Exotic Signs offer.

I'd like to clear coat over it all for the best look possible, just wondering how it will hold up (the clear coat on top of the vinyl).

Wondering what other peoples experience is with this or any other kind of input.

Thanks!
Andrew

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
UV isnt the issue, I am thinking more of rubbing up on it, etc.

Also I would like to use clear with a lot of metalic flake in it for the 'ultimate' effect.

Q

QuickMick

you can clear coat the vinyl graphics with no problem. However its much easier to replace them if damage happens, when there is no clear over them.

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
However its much easier to replace them if damage happens, when there is no clear over them.

This is true, but I was going to put many coats of clear to give that 'wet' look, and also want the metalic flake finish to look uniform across the 'ski.

I should just call and ask Exotic Signs if there Vinyl is ok to clear over, just have not had a chance to make the phone call yet.

Don 79 TA

Still Fat....
the other thing to remember with clear coat is if the surface isn't super clean you will risk bubbling, chipping, glazing effect in time

i have clear coated over some of the stickers on the trailer and have had them in water for a while too, looks good
have also done that bumper stickers too

also gives it a gloss effect, but in time have bubbled (all stickers and decals do in time)

for a kit like Exotic, i'd probably leave them alone

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
You can clear over vinyl. The metalic flake in the clear looks sick too. But make sure your last couple layers of clear don't have the flake in them or else you will be able to feel the flake when you rub your hand accross the ski

Moondance

Just plain me....
That's good to know will it soften or damage smc ?
Don't leave it on for any length of time & work quickly. It starts bubbling up the minute you put it on. I worked in small areas just because I wasn't sure when I first started how it would react. But I stripped the majority of my ski fairly quickly using it & it didn't do any damage. Just be sure to wear good chemical gloves. It is very harsh on skin.

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
Don't leave it on for any length of time & work quickly. It starts bubbling up the minute you put it on. I worked in small areas just because I wasn't sure when I first started how it would react. But I stripped the majority of my ski fairly quickly using it & it didn't do any damage. Just be sure to wear good chemical gloves. It is very harsh on skin.
Thank's I have been nervous about trying it, I am doing a vintage 550 this winter and it is smc of course, but what a biotch to sand these ski's. If I could strip it that would be awesome .

Big Kahuna

Administrator
This is true, but I was going to put many coats of clear to give that 'wet' look, and also want the metalic flake finish to look uniform across the 'ski.

I should just call and ask Exotic Signs if there Vinyl is ok to clear over, just have not had a chance to make the phone call yet.

It works fine. No need to call. just be sure to apply the decals right before you spray the clear.

Top Bottom