clearing the confusing once and for all

attached is a few imagines of both engines.
a PP convert to reed and a PP.
both have the same cyinder blocks and cranks.

Now, im a first timer mechanic learning as I go along so please forgive me if yourve already answered questions for me....you know who u are.

Gentlemen.
I would like to know what pistons are required for my Piston Port js 550.

from what i know atm and have been told, a reed valve motors piston has 2, small 1/4 inch holes drilled up the top on the exhust side.

and a piston port motor, has pistons that DONT have 2x 1/4 holes up the top, exhaust side.
The piston port motor has 2 LARGE SQUARE PORTS cut into the piston. Please see the picture ripped of ebay for a visual discription.

Now, a respected member form this site hold me that Id be okay with my current pistions however, at the time when i bought them, i was ( and still) are of the understanding that a reed motor has pistons with 2 1/4 holes and a piston port motor doesnt have these 1/4 holes, but it has 2 large/masssive squarish ports on the cyclinder.

could you please enlighten me

many thanks

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 47
  • x2.jpg
    x2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 43
  • x3.jpg
    x3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 42
  • x4.jpg
    x4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 40
  • x5.jpg
    x5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 39
  • x6.jpg
    x6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 40
  • x7.jpg
    x7.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 40
  • x8.jpg
    x8.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 41
  • x9.jpg
    x9.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 42
  • ports.JPG
    ports.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 37
the 2 small holes just below the rings are to cool the under side of the piston. that piston with the 2 massive holes/windows on the skirt looks like it is for the PJS aftermarket reed cylinder. pistons for the westcoast reed cylinder has 3 windows on it instead of 2. you take crappy pix

sorry about that buzzard.

so the pistons for both the PP and reed motor are the same?
the only reason youd ever get one with window is for either boost porting or if you have so aftermarket cylinder?

I really do appreciate your time dude

1991 thru 1995 kawi reed motors take 2 ring pistons and the 82 thru 90 piston port have 1 ring. you can use the 2 ring on the old PP motors. kawi didnt put windows on the pistons for their reed motors. any windowed pistons are for aftermarket cylinders like PJS,westcoast or jetco. you cant used windowed pistons on the PP cylinder

1991 thru 1995 kawi reed motors take 2 ring pistons and the 82 thru 90 piston port have 1 ring. you can use the 2 ring on the old PP motors. kawi didnt put windows on the pistons for their reed motors. any windowed pistons are for aftermarket cylinders like PJS,westcoast or jetco. you cant used windowed pistons on the PP cylinder

there you go
correct info

Top Bottom