Freestyle Cold fusion vs. xmetal vs. Wamiltons turn plate

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
I've run the old style xmetal shorty turn plate before, but I don't want to run straight bars. I'm looking for opinions on the other options that don't use a bearing system. I'm too cheap to pay big money for the new WDK or cold fusion steering assemblies.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
CF is a nice piece for the money. the others I have not used yet. My old Xmetal with straight bars I hated, but it worked. All I really care about is if it works and has enough throw, after that comes all the luxury items, bearings etc. if you can afford it. That said I really like my RRP current set up and all the bearing designs, especially sealed ones, like the waterdawg for smoooth operation, but thats not what you are asking. :)

Pablo

Site Supporter
My Superfreak like all the women in my like have become far more expensive than first planned;).

Sospikey

Trying to get upside down
I went from oem to the CF one with riser bars. It's a nice piece of billet, easy to maintain and I am happy with it after 1 season of use. I like the no bs/hazzle of the oem bushings. I ride fresh water only, btw.

Buckwild12

I'm moved by DASA power!
I know it is expensive but I am in love with my RRP steering and riser bars. They are a must have in my opinion for surf on a superfreak. Before I had the x-metal, it was the bushing style (Gen 1) which loosened up halfway through every ride which I couldn't stand. The riser bars allow you to ride in a much more comfortable position which is really important on a freak because the pole is so much farther forward than stock as it is.

I know it is expensive but I am in love with my RRP steering and riser bars. They are a must have in my opinion for surf on a superfreak. Before I had the x-metal, it was the bushing style (Gen 1) which loosened up halfway through every ride which I couldn't stand. The riser bars allow you to ride in a much more comfortable position which is really important on a freak because the pole is so much farther forward than stock as it is.

I don't get this whole riser bar thing.. Why not just lift the pole up higher.. To me it just makes getting on more difficult,, please enlighten me

Pablo

Site Supporter
I don't get this whole riser bar thing.. Why not just lift the pole up higher.. To me it just makes getting on more difficult,, please enlighten me

Getting up with riser bars in the elevated posn is a biotch for me...maybe it's not a problem for some that never fall.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.

For me I like the riser bars mainly because I don't have to bend over as far when riding with the pole down. Set up wakes, or whenever the pole needs to go down all the way I'm not breaking my back as much to do it. Everybody is different, but I love riser bars. And as far as mounting goes, I almost always side mount. I don't crawl up the center of the tray getting my elbows on the rails and pull myself in the tray. For me I actually expend less energy side mounting. Meaning when I am in deep water, both hands on the bars, I'm next to the ski, turn the bars away from me (if I'm to the left of the ski I turn right and vice versa) then gas it, the ski basically turns under me and I get a knee, or foot on the back of the tray and away I go. Very minimal energy expended and is a super quick way to get back on the ski. Once I got used to it, I wished I stumbled upon this mount a lot sooner. Hope that helps a bit..

Sospikey

For me I like the riser bars mainly because I don't have to bend over as far when riding with the pole down. Set up wakes, or whenever the pole needs to go down all the way I'm not breaking my back as much to do it. Everybody is different, but I love riser bars. And as far as mounting goes, I almost always side mount. I don't crawl up the center of the tray getting my elbows on the rails and pull myself in the tray. For me I actually expend less energy side mounting. Meaning when I am in deep water, both hands on the bars, I'm next to the ski, turn the bars away from me (if I'm to the left of the ski I turn right and vice versa) then gas it, the ski basically turns under me and I get a knee, or foot on the back of the tray and away I go. Very minimal energy expended and is a super quick way to get back on the ski. Once I got used to it, I wished I stumbled upon this mount a lot sooner. Hope that helps a bit..

I use a similar method. My right foot in the right foot hold, bars cranked to the right and just gas it! Works every time!

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Frosty taught me to board like this years ago and I must say its the one thig that has helped me more than anything in the sport. Pulling myself up onto the ski learning to ride was taking all my energy and once I mastered the one foot in the center rear of the tray side boarding, I was golden. Straight bars riser bars whatever are no problem with side boarding. And the risers do save my back riding for some reason, not sure why.

Sospikey

I started using riser bars when riding mountain bike and liked it. Pushing 40 you need all the help with your back you can get, lol.
I also felt that my old straight bars was very narrow compared to the UMI style bars on my X2 so the wider riser bars are a nice upgrade for me.

Buckwild12

I'm moved by DASA power!
If any of you are coming to the flatwater event for Wavedaze this year. you are welcome to try out both my Freak and the riser bar setup. I bet you'll fall in love. Re-boarding has never been a problem on my ski as the tray is enormous.

Top Bottom