Surfriding communication

I was wondering, especially after reading the upsetting Kevin Bruins' news, if riders are using any way to communicate while out on the water. Is there some kind of waterproof walkie-talkie/VHF/cell phone incorporated into a helmet. It seems like instant access to communicating with your buddies would be helpful. Big waves and loud engines seem to make the buddy system tough to maintain. Didn't know if anyone had any good ideas - Thanks

I believe there is a patting of the helmet or something of that nature. I think it works as if you pat your helmet and raise as many fingers as riders that are going back with you (including yourself). Others acknowledge with a thumbs up or down meaning whether they are coming with or staying back.

I'm familiar with the tapping helmet sign, but I was thinking some sort of more urgent communication. I mean, if you lose your hood or something, ski sinks, engine quits and current takes you, you injure yourself and you are in over 12 footers (not me) wouldn't it be more safe/convenient to have another way to hail someone. Motorcyclists have headsets in their helmets - seems like it would make more sense to have something like that for a PWC. Maybe just a handheld VHF strapped to a life-jacket - IDK

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
West Marine sells a bunch of different waterproof marine radios. The problem is that it only works if everyone in your group buys one.

I own a Garmin Rhino that was the hottest thing in communication for snowmobiling back in the day. Pretty much useless since the other 8 guys in my group never bought them. In their defense, a few of them were all sitting on the previous hottest communicator that only 3 bought into.

Hand signals work pretty good for us. Our group rides pretty tight though and Dan always has beer so we will leave him behind. :bigok:

btmboards

Brett
Ya for the most part while out surfriding most everyone is not only riding together but also watching each out just about all the time, everyone want to see there buddies tricks. but if you did want something last time I was in the jetski shop they did have radios in there that you wear that are just like the ones we have for out bikes just waterproof and a little smaller. Ive never seen anyone with them though, hand signals are our typical means.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
In this regard, smaller groups are better for safety. We've all ridden outside the break to catch our breath. This is when I "count" riders.
It can be tough with a large crew.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
The thing I liked about the Rhino was that it broadcasts your gps location so that anyone else with a rhino can see exactly where you are. They can also communicate with other FRS radios but what they don't tell you is that you must disable the "send coordinates" with every transmission if you want to communicate with standard FRS radios. Otherwise it just comes out as static. So basically, if one guy in your group has a standard radio, all the rhinos must disable the one feature that made you buy the radio in the first place.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I believe in the buddy system. It's only manageable to keep track of 1-2 people at a time. A crew should be 2-3 people. If 7 people are riding together, then it's 2 crews of 3, and 1 crew of 2. Larger crews can more easily lose people. I haven't discussed this with the people I ride with, they may feel differently about it, but I usually stick with the person I go out with. I may go ride with 6 or 7 people, but if I go out with Tom, I stay with Tom, and I return with Tom. I only seperate from Tom if I have directly spoke with Tom (who spoke to the person he is leaving with), and the person I am staying with. Hand signals are only good for your immediate riding partner. Simply point the way you want to go, or wave if you need them to come in to talk. if you are changing your partner on the water, speak with them directly. We do not have huge surf, so it's not hard to get close for verbal.

I feel the same way about it as I do fighting fire. A crew is 3 (sometimes up to 5 in special circumstances), anything larger gets a second leuitenant so it actually becomes 2 crews working together. We go in as a crew, we work as a crew, we come out as a crew. Any member of the crew split to another crew is handled with direct verbal communication with confirmation between 2 officers. We do it this way, because when we don't, bad things happen.

Technology is only as good as the system as a whole. There are panic buttons that might notify the coast guard, but no technology I know can substitute good team work. People should take the tiny bit of extra effort it takes to stay with their riding partner and react immediately if they are not immediately present.

The thing I liked about the Rhino was that it broadcasts your gps location so that anyone else with a rhino can see exactly where you are. They can also communicate with other FRS radios but what they don't tell you is that you must disable the "send coordinates" with every transmission if you want to communicate with standard FRS radios. Otherwise it just comes out as static. So basically, if one guy in your group has a standard radio, all the rhinos must disable the one feature that made you buy the radio in the first place.

I think I'll buy 2 garmin rino (110 model) they are IPX7 (pretty waterproof) - and get a headset - maybe this will work
http://www.h2oaudio.com/store/waterproof-headphones/surge-contact-waterproof-headset.html
Guess I could just hook it up to my iphone in a waterproof box and go that route. Thanks everyone!

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I believe in the buddy system. It's only manageable to keep track of 1-2 people at a time. A crew should be 2-3 people. If 7 people are riding together, then it's 2 crews of 3, and 1 crew of 2. Larger crews can more easily lose people. I haven't discussed this with the people I ride with, they may feel differently about it, but I usually stick with the person I go out with. I may go ride with 6 or 7 people, but if I go out with Tom, I stay with Tom, and I return with Tom. I only seperate from Tom if I have directly spoke with Tom (who spoke to the person he is leaving with), and the person I am staying with. Hand signals are only good for your immediate riding partner. Simply point the way you want to go, or wave if you need them to come in to talk. if you are changing your partner on the water, speak with them directly. We do not have huge surf, so it's not hard to get close for verbal.

I feel the same way about it as I do fighting fire. A crew is 3 (sometimes up to 5 in special circumstances), anything larger gets a second leuitenant so it actually becomes 2 crews working together. We go in as a crew, we work as a crew, we come out as a crew. Any member of the crew split to another crew is handled with direct verbal communication with confirmation between 2 officers. We do it this way, because when we don't, bad things happen.

Technology is only as good as the system as a whole. There are panic buttons that might notify the coast guard, but no technology I know can substitute good team work. People should take the tiny bit of extra effort it takes to stay with their riding partner and react immediately if they are not immediately present.
I agree. Not only do you buddy up with someone but you need to buddy up with a guy who rides like you. a surf rider and a wave jumper don't pair up well. I don't like to buddy up with pat because he tends to run me the :):):):) over. :)

Idk about you guys, but I feel I wouldn't hear crap from a radio over the sound of the motor and with a helmet covering my ears and also the ripping of the waves. Headset could resolve that but seems unnecessary as long as good teamwork is applied.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I agree. Not only do you buddy up with someone but you need to buddy up with a guy who rides like you. a surf rider and a wave jumper don't pair up well. I don't like to buddy up with pat because he tends to run me the :):):):) over. :)

Maybe this explains why I like to Buddy up with Tom so much. Neither of us have a defined riding style, and we both pretty much suck. :woot: Cheers Tom.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
The buddy system worked pretty well during hurricane Bill in 2009 at the spot. (amazingly!) . 40+ ski's with no "real" organization. Yea, plenty of people were towed in, some ski's came in completely underwater. But nobody got hurt.
Recent events have folks a bit freaked. And rightly so. We all start to take things for granted and do some "not so smart" things.
Although some sort of radio coms sounds good, I don't see it happening. Not everyone wears a helmet all of the time. Not everyone will spend the money.
As easy as it is to get caught up in great waves, it is just key to always spot your buds.
Danger will always be there no matter how prepared you are.
An electronic device may help, but when you're in trouble, there's no better feeling than seeing your bud pull up ready to help.

Top Bottom