Comp Vest Flotation

i am looking at getting a new comp vest but was worried about the Flotation of the non uscg approved vest,as i am getting more and more in to the freestyle side of jetsking.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Get the CGA vest. I tried to get one of the non-CGA vests thinking it would float me a little lower. It doesn't float me at all. If I let out some of the air in my lungs, I sink like a rock.

Waternut

Customizing addict
what vest do you have, and has any one have any luck with any CGA vest
(not bulky, good movement ect.)

When I got my non-cga vest, I immediately noticed that it didn't offer any additional freedom of movement over my kayaking vest. Kayaking vests are specifically designed to allow full range of motion in the hips and arms. The front and back have slightly bigger pads but those don't really get in the way of anything.

ddfearhe

2000 Superjet
Comp vests are not really considered life jackets. They are more for padding when wakeboarding. I have always used jet pilot comp vests and they barely hold my head above water. But it's worth not having a huge bulkey feeling vest on.

Waternut

Customizing addict
I'll say one more thing as well about flotation. Many people believe that because they're skinny and lightweight, that a vest will float them better than a fatter person since they weigh less. This is opposite of the truth as fat floats better than muscle. So basically if you're skin and bones/have low body fat, the comp vest will actually be worse for you.

Top Bottom