Blaster Cooling Routing

hey all

i currently have my cooling routed like this
Waterrouting.jpg

is this correct? the reason i have it like that is i plan to run duel cooling when i pull the pump out and will tap it then.

anyway i ask because i had it running on the hose (the green line in the pic) and i was checking the sync on the carbs and it stalled so i reached over and turned the tap off (ski was sitting nose up. i then changed the batt terminal (unrelated issue) and went to start it again and it locked. pulled the plugs and had a look and it was full of water. so i got that out (took a while, seemed that it pulling it back in out of somewhere, exhaust?) and got it running again. should i be back flushing it from there? and are the lines oK? should the top of the head go to the top of the pipe or is it ok at the bottom?

cheers

Last edited:

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
A connection for running it on the hose is done differently than one to back flush. Backflush you want as close to the pisser as possible (if not through the pisser). A tap for running it on the hose is the exact opposite, as close to the pump as possible. The way you have it set up now would work ok for a back flush. I am actually surprised it flooded your engine because the FCV should have prevented it. You might want to check to make sure it is functioning correctly.

IMO, I wouldn't try to tune anything on a hose. In fact, I see no point in running a ski on a hose for any reason. You can run a ski dry for short periods (less than a minute) for a quick check to make sure it is operational and responsive. Then head to the lake and do the fine tuning with a load on the pump (ie in the water). This could mean an actual test ride or with it in shallow water tied to something like your trailer.

Your routing looks fine tho. There are a lot of different variations on how to do it and for the most part they all work equally well. Once you go to dual cooling you will need to add another pisser and likely some restriction to keep it hot enough.

cheers dustin

whats the difference between a backflush and a a connection for running it on the hose?
what does backflushing do?

i agree that you cant tune anything without load on the motor, but thought it would have been ok to set the sync on the carbs (vac guage) before i went out?

i'll pull the fcv out and have a look. while i was cranking it i took the u pipe off the chamber and it spewed alot of water out.

pulled the FCV apart and it was fine, no crap holding the ball open.

just to update the situation, i had the ski on its right hand side to look the bottom of the hull. when i put it back on the stand i went to start it and it had a little water in the bores. not heaps, but just enough to fill the spark gap and stop it running. it took a little to get it to start, but i got it running (no hose) and let it idle for 20 seconds before giving it a few rev's and shutting it down.

why would i have water get into my engine after having it on its side. is it somthing i should expect with a b-pipe?

also in my FCV and possibly B-pipe instructions it says to route the water out of the top of the head to the top of the mid pipe and the bottom out to the stinger/pisser.
is this what i should be doing? whats the difference/benifits/disatvantages?

cheers Toby

Top Bottom