Cracked my tray Thursday

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
My tray cracked Thursday night. There is a 3-4" triangular divet under the mat that I can feel has broken loose on 2 sides. Ski didn't seem to be taking on any water, but made me nervous on subsequent landings (lake riding only, jumping wakes). How urgent is it to fix this, and how do I do it?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Look at any of the SJ builds on this site.
You'll be doing a defoaming/refoaming and tray repair.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
I started a quick fix on this today by sealing the crack with 5200, covering it with a reinforcement and putting padding to level it under the turf. I am wondering if it would work to drill a couple of drain holes at the bottom of each chine and set it up on end to let it dry out. Anybody tried this?

Pics added:
The hole
PICT2009.jpg

Size of hole
PICT2010.jpg

Sealed with 5200
PICT2011.jpg

Donor for reinforcement to cover hole
PICT2014.jpg

Padding material to level tray
PICT2015.jpg

Padding in, ready for mat
PICT2016.jpg

Last edited:

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Tyvm

Thats a novel use for a snowboard..... :Banane36:

That is a very nice way of putting it, thanks. ; )
I know it is ghetto I just want to get back on the water without putting my whole foot through the tray. When I get a backup ski to ride or it gets to be Winter I will attempt a more permanent and orthodox repair.

Anybody have thoughts on drain plug holes at the back of the chines? Does the foam hold the water so bad that it would never drain?

Last edited:

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
I may be the first guy to patch a tray with a snowboard, but I guess I aint the first to think of the drain idea:

attachment.php

Mark44 posted this on another thread. I think I'm gonna try it. Might rip out the snowboard and do a regular repair on the deck while I'm at it, if I don't have to defoam I could still be riding by the weekend.

wayne

wannaroll
it's a square and i am with crab. wet foam. the defoaming is the worse, then turfing. refoaming wasn't bad and fiberglassing wasn't that bad either.

sj1million

moto - dirt/h2o
I think the ski's with drains either dont have foam, or they have some other sort of buoyancy in them. Once the stock foam gets wet your never getting it dry. Re-foam with closed cell foam!

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
I think the ski's with drains either dont have foam, or they have some other sort of buoyancy in them. Once the stock foam gets wet your never getting it dry. Re-foam with closed cell foam!
Not certain about that, I had heard that Blowsion has a method of using pressurized air to blow out the water and find the leaks at the same time, worth a call perhaps.

sj1million

moto - dirt/h2o
Not certain about that, I had heard that Blowsion has a method of using pressurized air to blow out the water and find the leaks at the same time, worth a call perhaps.

It may work some what but I wouldnt trust it. The air is going to find the path of least resistance... which probably isnt where the water is going to be.

A little glass work never hurt anyone.

If you call let us know what they say.

Last edited:

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
O.K. I got home from work today, came to my senses, and ripped out the snowboard job. I am going to attempt a patch with fiberglass mat tonight and install 1/2" drains, but I would rather ride a soggy ski than not ride, so I'm not defoaming and refoaming until it is Winter or I get another ski to ride while this one is down.

cattledog

EH TEAM RACING
i found a crack in my x2 cooling line in hull using air and found a few leaks around the hull and driveshaft hole and of course found wet foam

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Winner

10/1 you have wet foam.

Ding ding ding ding ding - we have a winner!
Soaked foam, plus I drilled through the hull over the pump on accident.
This is all I could get done tonight, after I realized I drilled a line of holes where I shouldn't have I had to remove the pump to make sure I hadn't damaged anything.

PICT2017.jpg

PICT2018.jpg

Now I am thinking about a temporary fix installing the drains and using a 13" x 13" piece of stainless steel to make a strong floor in the tray until winter.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Impatience, butchery, and irony continues

O.K. so I am resigned to the fact that I ain't skiiing this weekend.

I cut some layers of floatation foam from old life vests and packed the hole in the tray

PICT2019.jpg

Sealed it up again with 5200 (the 7 day cure version)

PICT2020.jpg

I got a 13 x 14 sheet of stainless steel that I am going to reinforce the tray with.

I also installed stainless 3/8" drains on both sides,
PICT2023.jpg

the irony of that is that the foam at the bottom where the drains are is powder dry. There was very wet foam directly under the repair that I assumed had saturated it all, but apparently it hadn't. I am also getting some drip from the top of the exhaust flange, but nothing in the bottom near the drains.

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Installed the stainless plate today, much better than the snowboard:

PICT2031.jpg

It is bolted through and sealed with 5200. Haven't trimmed the bolts yet, but I made sure they were positioned to clear the pump.

PICT2032.jpg

You can't really see it in the pics, but I got to use my newly acquired hydraulic press to bend the plate to conform to the rise in the tray at the back (where the line is drawn). It actually nests perfectly and makes it more solid.

Last edited:

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Woot! Bolts trimmed, pump is back in, now just waiting for 5200 to dry so I can glue down the mat. Too bad I couldn't find the quick dry in caulking tubes locally! That stuff stays sticky for days. Anybody want to go for a ride at the Kern County duck toilet (Buena Vista) some time next weekend?

Midlake Crisis

Site Supporter
Guilty

:confused: why didnt you just glass it instead of bolting a giant piece of SS over it and huge bolts thru your hull?
Worst fix ever.

Guilty. . . . .
It started off as impatience and an attempt to ride this weekend (which didn't happen anyway). My plan is to go riding next weekend and at least once a week until winter arrives, then order the epoxy resin and materials to redo the floor right and install footholds. This was a "quick fix" to get me on the water. Hopefully when I glue the mat down and am riding the rest of the season instead of working on my ski it won't SEEM like the worst fix ever!!

Top Bottom