crank woodruff key help

accbr

addicted
I'm putting the flywheel and stator back on my boat after cleaning it up and notice my woodruff key is in shreds. :banghead: I'm supposed to go to the lake on Sunday. I measured the slot in the crank and the flywheel, and it's 5mm wide. Mcmastercar has four different ones listed that are this wide. Does anybody know the length and height?? I have friend that can machine me a few if I can find out.

I've checked Lowes, Ace, and Home Depot already. I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow, but they usually don't have anything. HELP!!

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The key width is 5.00mm and the length is 12.05mm and the height is 5.69mm

.197" W .474" L .224" H

Now… where's the best place to have a flywheel lightened?

well I had a problem finding one in the past .. we found some at a tractor dealer .. they had a box full still didnt have one to match .. we just took the file to it and kept "test" fitting it ..

accbr

addicted
The key width is 5.00mm and the length is 12.05mm and the height is 5.69mm

.197" W .474" L .224" H

Now… where's the best place to have a flywheel lightened?

Thanks!!! One of the motorcycle dealers in town have a few, so I'm gonna go look at what they have. I'll take my calipers. If they don't have one, I'll get a few made.

I sent my flywheel to Paul Lehr to have it lightnened.

njfl

X-H2
I just bought one at the dealer two weeks ago. $6.00. A little hefty, but worth it in a pinch. I would expect them to have is as there were many different Yamaha PWC made with this crank. Even a Yamaha motorcycle dealer would have it because the guy told me it is the same that is used on Banshee ATVs too.

aranka

usually drunk
i have found that unless you use the stock ones you are going to have trouble with them failing. the stock ones are hardened and seen to last longer. you can go to a dealer and get them for $3.15 (kawi). well worth it because if its not right it sux to tear down. also, be sure to seat the fly and torque it to spec. i just lived that nightmare for two weeks and it bites. hope this helps.

I just went through this this weekend. If you install one that is a tiny bit too tall the flywheel won't seat correctly and the bolt will back out and the flywheel will head towards the gas tank. Trust me. The key fit fine and it was the same size as the buggered up one I had but it must have been too big. After it comes off you have to lap the flywheel so that it will seat on the crank because of the damage that is caused from the vibration. Also you will need to reweld the front cover from where the flywheel wanted out.

Order a YAMAHA one and get it right. Lots of red locktight and impact that muther on with air hammer. Ask Ketsair the flywheel bolt was close to 100 Ft pounds and it still came off. One more time and I am JB welding it on like Stoyer did

accbr

addicted
JB weld the bolt in??? I've never heard of that. I take it off with an impact, and use the rope trick to torque it down correctly.

I got side tracked this weekend, and didn't put it back together. I ordered 3 keys from the dealer, so I know it will be the right one.

I was talking about putting JB weld on the crank and then bolting it on. That is what Stoyer "said" he done to his.

I took mine off tonight and it was seated perfectally. It was actually a bear to get off. I am lapping the flywheel so that everything matches then it goes back on with locktight and a new key.

Top Bottom