Custom/Hybrid Cutting/Sanding Turf Underpadding

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
the black/more dense/squishy stuff.

what the best way to cut a clean/straight edge, and possible bevel it to look decent?

i saw 8MM underpadding being used on the tray sides of a ski and want to do this same idea - just forgot to ask what method they used to cut/shape it to looks so good.

thanks for your input.

I don't think what you saw was padding, unless it was firsthand, HT makes a smooth sheet of turf that might look like the thin padding.

Under padding with tear, gouge if let exposed IME.

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
it was under padding - i asked. very soft and squishy. it was tits.

dirtybird you just worry about your 550 lookin' thing over there. :starwars:

butti

lone wolf
The black underpadding is very hard to work with. It does not heat mold or machine like turf I use it in the tops of my footholds with smooth turf on the sides.

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
thanks for the ideas - i'll experiment on some test pieces first as well.

when i tried cutting / shaping 25mm, it didn't go so well.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
I've had success using the coarsest grit I can (usually 40-60) on an orbital sander as well as hand sanding. The padding must be adequately glued down. The trick I have found is to use just enough pressure to start removing material without pressing down enough that the padding absorbs the sanding motion. It takes some practice. As for cutting a straight line through the stuff.... damn near impossible.

Roo

it's all good
Site Supporter
I've had success using the coarsest grit I can (usually 40-60) on an orbital sander as well as hand sanding. The padding must be adequately glued down. The trick I have found is to use just enough pressure to start removing material without pressing down enough that the padding absorbs the sanding motion. It takes some practice. As for cutting a straight line through the stuff.... damn near impossible.

good idea on glue down first... really.

i know what you mean by the material moving with the sanding motion...

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Might try a "hot knife". U can get one at harbor freight. I bet it would cut the hell outta that padding.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
If its thin enough it will cut with a new razor and for clean up i used 60 grit. Some power tools some by hand. It works pretty well but you have to take your time. 25 mm didnt work so well

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
I use a serrated 12" carving knife to get straight cuts. Works awesome. And a smaller one for tighter spots. It works very fast and easy when rough shaping, or when I need a real straight cut. Then sanding, flapper dremel, orbital sander, angle grinder with flapper disc. Whatever it takes pretty much.

Top Bottom