Super Jet cylinder pressure for dummies

Can someone give me a run down on cylinder pressure for dummies... I have a 96 SJ that I've taken apart because the motor mounts went and i need to replace the rubber seal at the rear of the block near the coupler... while its apart i figure its a good time to make some upgrades. Does changing the head accomplish anything ? or do you do the head because you've bored/ported. If i upgrade the reeds does that require changing the heads? what about just adding a p pipe... pretty much can one be done with out the other or do you typically want to do them in unison... cost and difficulty wise i was thinking new reeds/head and b pipe.

so can one be done without the other? or do i run the risk of ruining things if i piecemeal it in the wrong order?

Thanks

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
You can do them separate. Changing heads will give you the option of smaller domes which increase pressure. Girdled head reinforces cylinder so it wont crack with weight of aftermarket pipe. Pipe will give most noticable difference. Reeds the least.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Modifications can be done in any order, but bpipe will make the most difference with carb rejet and tuning. The a/m cylinder head like an ADA will increase compression, reshape domes, and tighten squish band which all increase power. Cylinder porting isnt required but can be done later. Reeds wont make that much difference unless you switch reeds and cages to VForce which do make a noticable difference.

Top Bottom