Super Jet Dam Pump Install!!!

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Would someone tell me why the hell it is such a pain in the azz to install a pump and drive shaft into a midshaft bearing!!!

Put them in for years.Last couple of ones it went fine.Ten,fifteen minutes the pump was in there.Today l spent at least an hour trying to get the shaft in the hole.Had to walk away cause l was getting pissed.

So if anyone has got something special they want to share,l would appreciate it!

steve-uk

Manners cost nothing
unbolt your mid shaft housing.... put the shaft in the midshaft.. bolt it back up

had this on one ski thought it was an alignment issue, everything was aligned and still couldnt get it in.. tried this and bingo

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
have a friend wiggle the midshaft coupler while you put in the pump
it gets the splines lined up and it will slide right in with two people :wink:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
have a friend wiggle the midshaft coupler while you put in the pump
it gets the splines lined up and it will slide right in with two people :wink:

Yep that is the easiest. Or if you stretch right, you can reach one hand midshaft and one hand driveshaft and wiggle in.

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
To add on to this question...

I had my pump out before last season to replace the drive shaft and for the first time since I've owned the ski, it takes on water when sitting. Used to be able to keep it tied up all day and it wouldn't take on a drop.

What did I damage when putting the shaft back in? Don't mean to thread jack Sanoman. Hopefully this will be helpful and you can look out for it too.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Wiggling the midshaft sounds easy unless the engine in in place. Seems stupid to me to pull the engine to aid in installing the pump. My trick has always been to have one hand on the pump and one on the driveshaft. Then I just go back and forth while twisting until I have penetration. lol If after about a minute (which ends up being about 30-40 misses), I still don't have it, I'll shine a light and see if I'm off center. Once I adopted this method, I've been able to get the pump in very easily.

One word of warning.... If the ski is pointed down and has water in the midshaft splines or you put too much grease in, the driveshaft won't go in because you can't compress the grease or water.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Wiggling the midshaft sounds easy unless the engine in in place. Seems stupid to me to pull the engine to aid in installing the pump. My trick has always been to have one hand on the pump and one on the driveshaft. Then I just go back and forth while twisting until I have penetration. lol If after about a minute (which ends up being about 30-40 misses), I still don't have it, I'll shine a light and see if I'm off center. Once I adopted this method, I've been able to get the pump in very easily.

One word of warning.... If the ski is pointed down and has water in the midshaft splines or you put too much grease in, the driveshaft won't go in because you can't compress the grease or water.

Everyone has some great suggestions! #ZERO has probably the best idea!

The motor is in and l didn't plan on pulling it.But the pump is in and the combination of wiggling and turning did the trick.But at one point,the thought did cross my mind to "set her on fire"! Diffidently a low point in the process.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advise.Felt like a rookie for a while though........................

Top Bottom