Dave Ramsey, debt, credit cards, retirement, etc

baxt3r

BBQ
Section 8 rentals can be good depending non your local rental market and how the program inspectors operate. If you've got decent inspectors, its not a problem. If you have a bunch with a chip on their shoulder, like here, you can wind up spending almost all of your annual rental income on "repairs". We got out of Section 8 for that reason. Between property taxes and supposed landlord deficiencies, we made a whopping $200 last year on our last Section 8 rental. They tried to make us rewire the entire house because the tenants painted over the electrical outlets.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Anyone buying stocks right now? Got a small bonus from work and looking to buy some stocks with it. POT and MOS have been taking a beating lately so I am thinking about putting half there and the other half in something tried and true with a decent dividend like MCD or VZ.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
Anyone buying stocks right now? Got a small bonus from work and looking to buy some stocks with it. POT and MOS have been taking a beating lately so I am thinking about putting half there and the other half in something tried and true with a decent dividend like MCD or VZ.

Got any credit card debt? Paying that off would be an instant return.

Buying individual stocks can be fun, just pretend you threw the money away because it's gambling essentially.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet

Buying individual stocks can be fun, just pretend you threw the money away because it's gambling essentially.

You're one of those anti stock people eh... My only debt is the house. Maybe when I get older I will bow out of the stock market but for now there is just too much money to be made there.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I'm not anti-stock, I have a ton of them, just in index funds/etc. I pay experts to do the research for me, I don't have the time or resources to do it myself.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
No flipping for me this is a long term investment I want to make money off of every month verses a one lump sum. Plus taxes would kill me if I didn't have some place to dump money every month.

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
I've got a rental (paid off) that rents for $1600 a month. It's in a retirement community - residential. Old folks are pretty easy on stuff, but also are fairly particular about small things, which makes it a little more of a pain. It's fun to go and fix something up there though, the whole community comes out and wants to say hello, and my current renter is somewhat of a snake oil peddler (magic water filters and copper bracelet stuff), so it keeps it interesting.
I've been considering buying a 2nd rental in the same area, but the prices are up a bit and I've got a gut feeling that the prices will regress slightly in roughly 2 years, so I'm sitting on the down payment in some mutual funds.
My goal is to have 5-6 rental to manage by retirement, plus whatever I'm socking away in the 401k. The company I'm at matches 6% towards 401k, and I'm putting in an additional 10% of my income towards the 401k. It's going to take roughly 2 million to retire in my eyes - got to keep on saving and saving... I've got another 20 years of working ahead of me...
Retirement goals are the reason I don't have a huge stroker PV engine with a 180mm mag pump...

Whatever you do, if your company offers a match of any % or $$ amount towards retirement, take advantage of it. Why would you pass up free money?

P.S.
Retirement goals are the reason I don't have a huge stroker PV engine with a 160mm mag pump...

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Yeah, prices are on the rise - is your pops going to be selling any?

Top Bottom