Dave Ramsey, debt, credit cards, retirement, etc

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Yep, the sooner the better, it pays in the long run. Just get in with good companies, and don't try to be a day trader until you have the time to spend researching.

550/440

My employer uses Vanguard, but my personal investments are REITs and with TIAA-CREF. Both have done well over the last 10 years.

I'm almost 32 and have nothing setup for retirement other then my wife is employed by a ESOP and banking on that paying off long term. I've been very wise with my money the last ten years but keeping a decent savings and living life has taken the rest. Really wish I had something in place at 21 even a 100 a month is much better then nothing IMO.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
I currently have Vanguard, PNC, and Fidelity accounts from different employers. For the last 2 years Vanguard has been doing the best.

550/440

I've definitely been thinking about it, but I have not pulled the trigger yet. I am kind of glad that I didn't, as it dropped more yesterday.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
My Father had always said, never invest in what's hot now, invest in what's going to hot next. So, if oil is down, shouldn't alternative fuel sources be as well? Hydrogen? Nuclear? Solar? Cold Fusion?

550/440

Oil for the long term, it will come back.
Our oil workers going on strike will have some effect on gas price, but not oil prices. OPEC won't carry on for more than a couple years, then prices will climb again.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
In December 2005, we started Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps. The first big thing we did was to sell my 2003 Honda Element and get a 2000 Honda Accord. It used less gas, could seat 5 (we had just had our 3rd kid) instead of the Element's 4, and knocked a few thousand $$ off our debt.

We just sold the Accord. 251,000 miles, looking like it, but it was a great car---very cheap to maintain, completely reliable. 9-1/2 years is definitely the longest I've ever owned a car. We bought a Volvo wagon to replace it and paid cash for it. It turns out the Volvo actually gets even better mileage than the Accord and has way more room plus all the fun stuff like heated seats.

Here's the Dave Ramsey sticker in it's current state after 9 years of driving and what it looked like originally.

2015-03-30.jpg
misc_decal_no_debt.jpg

Screw car payments...

Mark44

Katie's Boss
Very good, I recently bought a 1997 Toyota corolla after someone ran a red light and totaled my 2006 scion xB with 250,000 miles on it. The new to me Toyota has 139,000 and gets 38 MPG. Love that car and the savings and I could buy any car I wanted too that is if I wanted too.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Question: How many of you plan to ride jet skis after the age of 55? (You're only young once, live it up now.)

I sold my 97 Chevy Lumina with 324k to some old man, he might still be driving it! Best car ever made, cheap everything, parts available everywhere, and if you fixed the intake gasket the 3.1 was maybe the best Chevy engine ever built. I got 30mpg highway or 27 pulling the jet ski. I still miss that car. Now I drive a Suburban, and everyday it makes me happy just to get in my dream car.

I'm sorry but Dave Ramsey is full of bull. After college I had credit card debt, instead of paying down the lowest payments... I opened up 0% CCs and floated all I could to them. I then took out a 401k loan and paid any existing credit off. Doing that saved me over $200 a month in interest. Do you guys get investment knowledge from Warren Buffet too? It's for people with bad habits and mindless spending, not determined individuals who can set goals and follow them.

The whole retire early thing is a farce/ploy. Even successful seniors still work(double pensions, part time, research, master plumber/electrician). They get bored or they're investing in their free time, etc. You'll never retire.

Top Bottom