Dave Ramsey, debt, credit cards, retirement, etc

Just do a normal 80% mortgage and skip PMI altogether.

This is def the way to go if you are buying something you can truly afford you should be able to do it...if not rethink what you are about to buy..Ive never been in debt,I started paying cash for things I could afford before I got credit..Got a few car loans to build credit,payed them early,credit cards for same purpose,paid them off every month..
Have a few houses now all mortgaged under 80% One thing good obama did was get the feds to enforce MAKING banks refi at no cost to the lowest possible rate you qualified for..If you own a home and havnt refinanced it in the last couple yrs,you should be now.......the plan is extended to end of jan 2013

Big Kahuna

Administrator
This is def the way to go if you are buying something you can truly afford you should be able to do it...if not rethink what you are about to buy..Ive never been in debt,I started paying cash for things I could afford before I got credit..Got a few car loans to build credit,payed them early,credit cards for same purpose,paid them off every month..
Have a few houses now all mortgaged under 80% One thing good obama did was get the feds to enforce MAKING banks refi at no cost to the lowest possible rate you qualified for..If you own a home and havnt refinanced it in the last couple yrs,you should be now.......the plan is extended to end of jan 2013

Uh, last time I ckecked a Mortage puts yo in debt, Car Loans put you in debt...........................

norcal ex

X-H2
Having mortgages is a "debt" but it doesnt put you in Debt. If you are paying 3.5% on a rental home but you are getting 10% out of it (minus property value rise) then you are borrowing money to make money which is not putting you in "debt" . All of the largest corporations have some sort of "debt" . It makes financial sense for various reasons in different situations. Mostly tax reasons.

Another thing is is you have a house (Rental or home) and it is valued at 100k but you owe 65k on it then what is the problem? you have a debt but if push come to shove you can sell the property and have money. It is very stupid (High property value areas) to have half a million or a million tied up in your home. Not even Mark Zuckerburg does this. Why would you tie the money up not making anything when you can invest in other things.

Just for the record.. I have never ever had any credit card debt or car loans. I own everything I have . I do have a mortgage and for the little interest I am paying I wish I could keep it for more then 30 years. I can make a hell of a lot more money investing a couple hundred k elsewhere then it will ever make me sitting in my house.

Last edited:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
All of the largest corporations have some sort of "debt" . It makes financial sense for various reasons in different situations. Mostly tax reasons.

Not Apple, and last I heard they were the most valuable company in the world, right?

Pay interest to get a tax cut? Pay $10,000 to get a $2500 tax credit?

Why would you tie the money up not making anything when you can invest in other things.

Risk. Some people are fine with a lot of risk, others aren't.

Simplicity is another thing. We have like 5 regular monthly bills now, it really does take a load off not having to even think about bills each month.

With our new house, We probably have $100k in equity already thanks to the crazy deal we got and all the work I did. That definitely lowers the risk of holding a mortgage on it.

norcal ex

X-H2
Not Apple, and last I heard they were the most valuable company in the world, right?

Pay interest to get a tax cut? Pay $10,000 to get a $2500 tax credit?
First, Im sure they have sort of debt on their books somewhere. Weather it be to their venders with a 60 day pay out instead of immediately. It is how it works. Also if you research their strategy is not looked upon as good in the business world. Apple wont be the largest company for long. They are already starting to fall with their over priced exploited products.

Second I never said to pay interest to get a tax cut. That makes no sense if that is why you are doing it. It does make investments more lucrative and attractive though. I just refied my house to 3.6%. I could of payed more off of the note ( I already have 30% equity) but instead I have that cash to invest. After my interest write off I am really paying less then 2.5% which is less then inflation.

I can then take that money I could of put into the house (which would of saved me 2.5% ) and use it in another investment which will give me a ROI of around 8-10% minus property value increases and depreciation. And when I do that I will have at least 25% equity. I dont believe in leveraging more then 20% in properties. I would like it to be closer to 30%.

Risk. Some people are fine with a lot of risk, others aren't.
Thats true but either way, being debt free or not (when it comes to properties) there is a risk. Being debt free you actually have more of a risk if you plan to use that property for investment or retirement fund. Properties that are debt free can lose their value also. One way you lose your money, another way you lose your credit score.

Simplicity is another thing. We have like 5 regular monthly bills now, it really does take a load off not having to even think about bills each month.

With our new house, We probably have $100k in equity already thanks to the crazy deal we got and all the work I did. That definitely lowers the risk of holding a mortgage on it.

I couldnt agree with you more!! I do not beleive that anyone should purchase something they cannot afford.

I have always paid cash for all of my vehicles, jet skis and other hobbies. I do not beleive in borrowing so you can have a cooler car then your neighbor. I dont always need the newest or the best (unless it comes to skis or mountain bikes) but when I do get them I pay cash.

I use my credit card for almost all of my purchases now to keep track of my purchases but the entire bill is paid off every month! I have never not paid it. If I cannot afford it , I wont buy it.

I have my cable bill, gas/electric bill, garbage bill, credit card bill , and my mortgage. It feels good and I dont have to worry about how I am going to be paying them every month.

Back from the dead.....Just dumped the rest of my student loans.

Only thing left is the mortgage. I feel like a real dumbass for not getting into the market when it crashed back in 08-09. I could have paid my house off by now. Idiot

SuperJETT

I stayed the course during the market flop and lost over 50% of my 401k's value but now it's 70% above what it was at the beginning.

We've been hitting the Roth IRAs pretty heavily this year and plan to keep that up.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Back from the dead.....Just dumped the rest of my student loans.

Only thing left is the mortgage. I feel like a real dumbass for not getting into the market when it crashed back in 08-09. I could have paid my house off by now. Idiot

History has shown that there is always a second crash. So you will probably get your chance again.

SuperJETT

We had a financial review with our UBS guy last week. Things look great. His projection shows us dying at 90 years old with $13million.

Trust me, we won't die with that much money, we're going to enjoy it.

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
We had a financial review with our UBS guy last week. Things look great. His projection shows us dying at 90 years old with $13million.

Trust me, we won't die with that much money, we're going to enjoy it.

401ks? Roth's? Not planning to retire until you are 85? =P

best thing that happened to us this year was my wifes company became 100% employee owned as an esop. so her retirement with the stock plus 401k we are looking good for the future as long as she doesnt quit lol

Top Bottom