daytona gone for me!!!!

well i was running the 400 yd today and at the 300 mark I felt something tare and when I went to the orthopedics he said he’s almost 100% sure I tore my acl and will have to have surgery so now I will not be riding at Daytona most likely I go for my mri tomorrow just to be 100% sure.

Jumper

What! What!
ACL repair/reconstruction surgery has been refined over recent years and has a very high rate of success. It sucks that you will miss the ride, but you will be as good as new well before the next one. I have survived ACL reconstructions on both of my knees. Good Luck! Don't despair!

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
In all honesty, if you got a good stabilizing knee brace, you'd be able to ride. I tore my ACL years back, and before surgery I was in a brace and was still doing stuff like working out and walking pretty normal. The ACL is a stabilizer for side-to-side movement between the femur and tib/fib. If you have a brace with side-to-side stabilization, you will not further damage your knee by riding. If your surgery is before then, you may be partially rehabbed by that time- I know I was up and about a month after surgery, and started running and riding again wearing my brace about 2 months- lightly that is. I feel your pain, man. Opt for the cadaver ligament replacement, the recovery time is less. Hamstring (which I did) is painful and longer for recovery- I have a high pain tolerance so I was good to go.
Keep us posted. But I am trying to be optomistic for you, there is a possibility you may make it.

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
The ACL is a stabilizer for side-to-side movement between the femur and tib/fib. If you have a brace with side-to-side stabilization, you will not further damage your knee by riding.

Not to nit pick, but in every animal species that has ACL's, it is front to back stabilization, specifically, it keeps the tibia from sliding out from under the femur as they walk. If the sliding action is not prevented, the meniscal cartilage will get shredded (if it's not already from the original injury).

A knee brace might help slightly with this, but is not going to eliminate continuing damage that occurs if the patient continues to be active while the ACL is gone. Minimizing activity until proper stabilization can be achieved is what I recommend for my patients.

There certainly has been progress on the surgery and the sooner you can get it taken care of, the less damage there will be to your joint.

Jumper

What! What!
Not to nit pick, but in every animal species that has ACL's, it is front to back stabilization, specifically, it keeps the tibia from sliding out from under the femur as they walk. If the sliding action is not prevented, the meniscal cartilage will get shredded (if it's not already from the original injury).

A knee brace might help slightly with this, but is not going to eliminate continuing damage that occurs if the patient continues to be active while the ACL is gone. Minimizing activity until proper stabilization can be achieved is what I recommend for my patients.

There certainly has been progress on the surgery and the sooner you can get it taken care of, the less damage there will be to your joint.

I concur. There are varying degrees of the severity of this injury. One of mine was severed entirely and tore a good chunk of the lateral meniscus when it blew. Go to the surgeon. Do what they say. Hit your physical therapy.

i think i am going to try and ride i will not just be able to do anything crazy.

grinasty- i have a few rooms and a few guys i know dont think there going to go so i mite have a room for you but as far as mine i am still comeing and maybe ride a lil.

ill probly just ride my b1 most the time anyway so i may be fine.

i think i am going to try and ride i will not just be able to do anything crazy.

grinasty- i have a few rooms and a few guys i know dont think there going to go so i mite have a room for you but as far as mine i am still comeing and maybe ride a lil.

ill probly just ride my b1 most the time anyway so i may be fine.

you better still show up!!!!! :pokey::afro:

my friend ripped his acl in a soccer game back in spetember. he got surgery and is now walking (with a slight limp due to his brace) but he got back to walking very quickly, so i would ask the doc if riding of any degree would be a possibility. good luck

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
OK, good info. I always thought it was side-to-side since that's how I blew mine- I was hit while my foot was planted from the side- in the thigh. I was also told to avoid cutting movements like those in basketball and soccer.

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
OK, good info. I always thought it was side-to-side since that's how I blew mine- I was hit while my foot was planted from the side- in the thigh. I was also told to avoid cutting movements like those in basketball and soccer.

It's very common to shred it with a combo of sideways +/- a little forward force on the leg. Angled torsion will also do it. Twisting injuries are quite common. Animals most often injure it while either jumping (and landing wrong), or when they run into something or something (usually another animal) runs into their leg at the wrong moment.

The side to side cutting motion is what continues to shred the meniscus after the ACL is gone. There are actually 2 points of attachment of the top part of the ACL which is where it usually shreds (in animals, anyway). One part does a little more lateral/twisting control. Animals can have partial tears of just the part that does the angled control (and I believe people can, also).

Animals with a partial tear will carry the leg some, but will put it down some, too. It hurts, but they can still walk pretty well. I find it when I manipulate the knee when flexed, but it will still be pretty solid when manipulated straight. If there is a complete tear, they will usually carry the leg completely unless their other leg has severe arthritis and they can't carry the freshly injured leg.

Animals (and people, too) often get collateral ligament damage along with ACL damage. It is rare for animals to get ONLY ACL damage without at least some collateral damage. They can get meniscal tears along with ACL damage, but not quite as often as collateral damage. I don't know what the actual odds are in people, for collateral vs. meniscal damage, but I do know that people pretty often get at least a little meniscal damage and would guess that they even more often get collateral damage similar to animals.

Anyway, the recovery time for surgery is usually quick enough for most athletes, that you could potentially be back to riding if you get that surgery done ASAP. If you don't, and you cause more damage by continuing to walk on it and/or ride, you could potentially never ski again. Certainly would likely never walk again without pain. Once your cartilage goes, you are on a never-ending slide into joint deterioration and arthritis. Your choice.

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
Odd Duck, would it be severely detrimental for him to ride just once? I mean, I can understand if he was to ride on a regular basis with a shot ACL, it would damage the joint and meniscus and cause osteoarthritis, but short term, is there any major harm to it?
Let's say he rode in December a couple times then hit Daytona and rode (with some kind of brace)....would that be severely detrimental? I know that when I damaged mine I rode about 2 or three times with a brace on my Blaster pre-op, and although it nagged me I feel great now 3 years post-op.
I know as a doctor you are to really advise against it, but come on....one stand up rider who loves to ride to another....*wink*

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
That depends on how his ride goes. He potentially could ride his azz off with no problems. BUT, if he lands just wrong, and on a weakened joint? It could be the end of riding forever. I hate to be a doomsayer, but you just never know. The odds of being OK if he takes it easy are probably pretty good. But we've all heard of worse things happening with someone with normal, healthy knees. It would somewhat depend on how bad the damage is now, how much tearing he has in the collateral ligaments, and other supporting tissues, if he already has damage to the meniscus, etc.

Would I ride on it? Probably not. But then again, I do tend to see the worst of things. Dogs that jumped off the couch and broke a leg, etc. I've also seen the best - dogs that got hit by cars going 40 mph and came out of it with only scratches and bruises.

Like I said, you just never know. He'd be playing the odds and it all depends on how willing he is to gamble and how much he's willing to risk. I wouldn't, but I'm an old lady and it's harder for us old folks to heal.

ok my mother works with the doc and he just called her and said that i tore my mcl and a minor tear to the acl. who the hell knows how i did it but i did. theres no way it was just from running the 400 so it had to have been messed up be for.

Jetaddict

9 years to retirement...
That's looking good- the MCL is non-surgical, generally. I had a partial tear along with my ACL, and it was just a healing thing- took several weeks.
The partial ACL tear is all up to the doc. He may have to scope it to check it out, but there are times he may not require surgery. Get in there as soon as possible and have him run the tests and MRI to see what is going on. Meanwhile, rest, ice, and elevate it.

Top Bottom