Surfriding Deadly?

Odd Duck

Jet Vet
I haven't searched this and am NOT an expert, but seems like I've heard there are different species, some deadly, some just cause severe stings unless you're allergic. Where are the experts (or expert googlers)?

Quick search shows this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

First paragraph explains:

Box jellyfish (class Cubozoa) are cnidarian invertebrates distinguished by their cube-shaped medusae. Box jellyfish are known for the extremely potent venom produced by some species. Chironex fleckeri, Carukia barnesi and Malo kingi are among the most venomous creatures in the world. Stings from these species are extremely painful and often fatal to humans and prey animals.

Further down:

The box jellyfish has been called "the world's most venomous creature,"[6] though only a few species in the class have been confirmed to be involved in human deaths and some species pose no serious threat (for example, the sting of Chiropsella bart only results in short-lived itching and mild pain).[7]

Last edited:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Dan what kind are the jellies that are all over the place now? the softball size ones with no tentacles....

uhh.... oh yea!
Those are commonly known as the "pump-stuffer" jelly. They are a prized delacacy in Japan. In other countries they are often stuffed with colorful marbles and made into decorative lamps. lol

I don't know what they are, but I don't think they can kill you.

I remember watching a Discovery channel type show about the box jelly. They made it seem like DEATH! That's why I started the thread.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I haven't searched this and am NOT an expert, but seems like I've heard there are different species, some deadly, some just cause severe stings unless you're allergic. Where are the experts (or expert googlers)?

Quick search shows this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

First paragraph explains:

Box jellyfish (class Cubozoa) are cnidarian invertebrates distinguished by their cube-shaped medusae. Box jellyfish are known for the extremely potent venom produced by some species. Chironex fleckeri, Carukia barnesi and Malo kingi are among the most venomous creatures in the world. Stings from these species are extremely painful and often fatal to humans and prey animals.

Further down:

The box jellyfish has been called "the world's most venomous creature,"[6] though only a few species in the class have been confirmed to be involved in human deaths and some species pose no serious threat (for example, the sting of Chiropsella bart only results in short-lived itching and mild pain).[7]

I hope we've got the "short-lived itching and mild pain" ones!

No fair Duck.....you did research!

Boris

The Good Old Days
Box jellyfish are deadly but a simple pair of pantyhose will stop the stingers. Nothing better than a boat full of Japanese tourists taking a day trip on the Great Barrier Reef and all wearing woman under-garments. Cracked me up every time.
Those long tentacles can brake off and float with the currents for miles yet still remain dangerous.

Not a problem in the Atlantic as they prefer warmer waters.
'

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
so can it sting you through a wet suit and rash guard or does it require direct contact with the skin?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_jellyfish_sting_through_clothing

lol i thought this was funny but i dont know how true it is. we could start wearing them anyways...

http://www.jellyfishfacts.net/jellyfish-sting-protection.html

"One of the most common jellyfish sting protection would be to wear a wet suit while swimming. When the tentacles of a jellyfish brushes past a wet suit, it will sense it as an inanimate object and wont fire the venom. Certain jellyfish like the box jelly, has a sting that can penetrate even a wet suit and so a thicker and more resistant wet suit has been developed to prevent getting stung by the box jelly. Box jellyfish is the deadliest and its sting can cause death within minutes. People have also found nylon panty hose to be an effective material in jellyfish sting protection. Many lifeguards are now known to wear this over their legs and arms. "

Boris

The Good Old Days
Wat to buy into a scare story by the local news.
Next week it will be man eater sharks followed by gang raping dolphin and after that it will be the leg humping poodles.

It was probably a few man-o-wars and vinegar cured all the ills before the camera crew rolled up.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Wat to buy into a scare story by the local news.
Next week it will be man eater sharks followed by gang raping dolphin and after that it will be the leg humping poodles.

It was probably a few man-o-wars and vinegar cured all the ills before the camera crew rolled up.

I don't usually come up & out of my bunker except to work and ride. You know, the chem-trails will get ya. 9/11 was an inside job. FEMA coffins await you and I. RFID chips are the mark of the beast. blah blah blah..........

I think box jellies are actually really small. I don't see how they could be mistaken for a man-o-war. And, I don't see an advantage for local papers/governments to print things that lead to less tourist revenue. Especially in these economic times.

The article was printed in several different papers. I doubt it would be printed without an accurate identification of the culprit.

Boris

The Good Old Days
I don't usually come up & out of my bunker except to work and ride. You know, the chem-trails will get ya. 9/11 was an inside job. FEMA coffins await you and I. RFID chips are the mark of the beast. blah blah blah..........

I think box jellies are actually really small. I don't see how they could be mistaken for a man-o-war. And, I don't see an advantage for local papers/governments to print things that lead to less tourist revenue. Especially in these economic times.

The article was printed in several different papers. I doubt it would be printed without an accurate identification of the culprit.

Sort of like a floating weapon of mass destruction ?
:naughty::nana:

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
You know... you may be right.
The military/industrial complex has been experimenting with the venom of the box jellyfish for years. Alex Jones said so. Due to the careless handling of these biological specimens, some were accidentally released off the north american east coast. Evidently, they seem to fare well in these, sometimes, less than temperate waters.
The Answer:
Sea turtles. All humans must no longer use the beaches in any way. This will help the sea turtles breed more efficiently. Sea turtles eat jellyfish. The turtles will eat the box jellyfish and the earth will be saved.

Our jellyfish that we get all the time are blue bottle jellyfish. Stings can be fatal if stung across the throat etc but normally they just really sting. Box jelly fish are very uncommon in shallower waters.

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
Our jellyfish that we get all the time are blue bottle jellyfish. Stings can be fatal if stung across the throat etc but normally they just really sting. Box jelly fish are very uncommon in shallower waters.

Thank you!
The reports of box jellyfish on the Florida coast are still unsettling. They are evidently in shallow water because beach swimmers are being stung.
As Odd Duck stated earlier, there are different sub-species that are not really harmful.
I guess it's just another critter to look out for. (that you can't see)

Tyler Zane

Open Your Eyes
lol i should of known Suzi would know a video of men wearing tights....

but on another note, im not afraid of any living creature. we are all dieing and if you try and avoid every little bit of danger you will lead a boring life. ill put on my wet suit and ride on, if a box jelly fish is my way to go then so be it. im not trying to be the biggest, baddest fearless man but i know what its like to think this could be the end.

is a jelly fish gonna stop you from riding?

Top Bottom