Other Decoding NGK Plugs / Spark Plugs 101

mike b

Michael "Mayhem" Bevacqua aka MikeyChan
I had been recommended by someone to use BR9EYA. Anybody ever heard of these? He uses in his modded SJ and told me to throw them in my TPE since the BR8ES supposedly go bad with low hours/gallons of use. Any input?

What do you mean by "supposedly go bad" ?

Without knowing the details of your TPE engine it will be hard for folks to help.

I doubt you are wearing out BR8ES plugs unless you ride many, many hours. Maybe it's not tuned correctly? Plus, at $1.50/ea if you are wearing them out just throw in a new set.

The BR9EYA: for starters is a range colder (9 vs 8). Unless your engine builder suggests that I don't think you should switch.
As far as the YA, it is a special edition with v-electrode. They are "foul resistant" plugs made specially for snowmobiles.
You can read about each one here on the "specs" tab:
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9582
http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9558

Also make sure you are using the NGK 3961 solid top version of the BR8ES (and not NGK 5422). Maybe the removable nut is coming loose on your current plugs which will cause intermittent and weak spark.

Again, it comes back to what you mean by BR8ES plugs going bad, and whether or not that is tune related.

mike b

Just that they foul up quicker. Short riding and blipping. Motor is tuned well, running the br8es right now and aren't too bad, solid tip not screw on ones anymore. Just thought I'd ask to see if anybody else was using them

Agreed, even if you are short riding and blipping it should not foul them.

On initial startup try not to "rev it up" at the dock, it can throw around the oil that has settled in the bottom of the crank case. Let it warm up a bit.

mike b

It just seems like with newer plugs my idle is prefect, with older plugs I have to turn the idle a bit more for a blip on my setup wakes and some times it dies before I jump (granted I leave my idle low because i hate too high of an idle) I guess I have to choose between a higher idle or buying newer plugs more.

Also must add that the solid tip plugs I have had better luck running with longevity. Used to run the other tips because that's what they had in stock and never thought to ask for the other part number

You can buy the NGK solid top 3961 from Rockauto for $1.54/ea and the shipping is cheap for just plugs. So it's pretty affordable, but you should not have to replace them after each outing.

But it still sounds like you may have something going on with carburetion or water injection.

Can you post good pics of your plugs that no longer idle well?

mike b

You can buy the NGK solid top 3961 from Rockauto for $1.54/ea and the shipping is cheap for just plugs. So it's pretty affordable, but you should not have to replace them after each outing.

But it still sounds like you may have something going on with carburetion or water injection.

Can you post good pics of your plugs that no longer idle well?

Tuning is just about spot on. Not my tuning, from someone who knows what they are doing haha. Water ingestion could always be an issue but i think the low idle is the real issue. Sure Ill get some pictures at some point on here

Top Bottom